Ch 47: Cave, Stone Cold

Don't know who needed this, but..

"Don't Compare Your Life To Others. There Is No Comparison Between The Sun And The Moon. They Shine When It's Their Time." - Anonymous

I want to shower love to everyone who has persisted and continued to support my story. It means the world to me. Accept my love! (•ө•)

**

He pats her on the head, "Wait for me." The Imperial Guard Wu finds a large stick, placing it next to her leg.

He proceeds to rip a piece of his clothing and wrap it around her kneecap. "Your leg is stabilized in a removable splint."

She takes a breathe of relief, "Thank you."

His fingers casually reach and trace her eyes, causing General Li to flinch in surprise. Imperial Guard Wu asks, "Does it still hurt?"

"It's numb." She clears her throat and changes the topic, "I believe this is the Metsubushi blinding powder, which originates from the Dongying. It is meant to disorient one's opponent. I have never come across it before, as it's banned in our nation. The person behind all of this must have illegal engagements with Dongying."

Imperial Guard Wu complies, "I have kept their weapons of use for further investigation when we return. For now," he glances up at the golden sky. "We will find somewhere to rest."

General Li utters, "Yes, that is for the best." Despite having her eyes closed, she can feel Wu Lan Jun bend down in front of her.

"What is it?"

To her chagrin, she ends up riding on Wu Lan Jun's back, with her arms around his neck and her injured legs around his waist.

A keen feeling of mental unease arise within General Li, as a man has never given her a piggy back ride before. She had, however, carried countless amounts of soldiers on her shoulders during wartime.

"Are you cold, General?" His voice echoes, blended with foot steps over the mixture of sand and dirt.

General Li shakes her head, "No, all is fine."

Soon, they find a cave in which they decide to rest in for the night. Wu Lan Jun starts a fire through friction, suggesting General Li to stay put. Knowing she cannot see anything, she concurs.

Wu Lan Jun proposes to guard the cave. General Li is against such idea, as he would over-exhaust himself. In the end, they settle the dispute by mutual concession: They would have different shifts.

General Li is said to rest first. She takes off her armor, keeping the thin fabric on. As she lays down near the open-air fire, her mind clears up. She indulges in her sleep.

All is blank.

General Li hears a feminine and petite laughter.

"Xu Yue?" She searches for the laughter in a dark space.

"..No!" The voice suddenly shrieks in pain, "Please don't!"

General Li runs around, "Xu Yue!" Tears flow from her eyes, "Where are you, Xu Yue?"

She runs out of breath, "I am sorry for leaving you.. I will never forgive myself for doing so." She cries, "If I could choose again, I would choose you." She collapses in despair.

A pair of hands caresses her face. General Li glances up, sighting a familiar face: "Miss Li, there is nothing to be sorry about. You made the right decision. You saved the city. If I could, I would have made the same decision."

General Li shakes her head in disagreement, "I—"

The lady shushes General Li and smiles, "It is time for me to go, Miss Li. It is also about time you move on and forgive yourself."

Li extends her hand out, hoping to prevent the lady from departing. "Wait!"

..She wakes up to a cold breeze.

General Li glances around her; snow fills the cave. She stretches, seeing Wu Lan Jun's back at the exit of the cave to her right.

She can see?

She can see!

"Wu Lan Jun, you didn't wake me up for my shift." She calls out, trying to get up. She ends up limping her way to Wu Lan Jun.

She taps him by the shoulder, "Wu Lan Jun?"

General Li rotates Wu Lan Jun's body. All heat seems to be lost; his pale appearance indicates that his layers of tissue has been frozen for some time.

She taps his cheeks, "Imperial Guard Wu!"

Stone cold.

She quickly drags his frozen body inside the cave, limping as she goes. "Don't die on me, Wu Lan Jun!"

She lays him on the bundle of dead grass gathered from last night. She rubs her hands over his hands but the cold, dry air makes it challenging to preserve heat.

"W-Water..." He whispers faintly and desperately.

General Li hears his plead. She looks around; her only hope is the snow. She scoops a hand full of snow, which melts in her hand. Dripping the water over his mouth, she notices that none are able to enter his system.

She scoops another hand full of snow. This time, she puts the snow into her mouth, melting it. She kneels down beside Wu Lan Jun, brushing her lips against his icy cold lips.

This time, he accepts the liquid. His lips begin to unfreeze. General Li pulls away and repeats this action. Her fingers begin to freeze up, as if there is a frostbite.

His body is still shivering. General Li's eyes rest on the almost crystallized man. An inglorious yet fruitful thought comes into her mind.

"This is to save a life," General Li mutters to herself.

She begins to take off his wet scale armory. Following that, she undresses her silk garment. General Li wraps her arms around Wu Lan Jun, her temperate body presides over his.

The cold begins to invade her body as she jolts against him. The clothings are draped over their bodies, capturing some warmth.

General Li hugs Imperial Guard Wu tightly, intertwining her hands with his hands. There is a sense of nervousness and warmth when she rubs her cheek against his cheek.

"Heavens," she gives voice to.

"..Don't let all my efforts go to waste."