Part One: An Open Discussion

It had only been less than a week or so since the last big incident. Overhaul. Another big villain character bringing chaos to innocent lives. Another time Deku and people like him that were way too young to be involved ended up in the attempts to stop them. Of course things had turned out fine enough after the showdown; Eri was getting care, Overhaul was captured, and the villain's crew of criminals seemed to have retreated back into the dark corners of society, or at least a corner where they couldn't be found.

That was all fine and good, but it had only served to further push forward doubts Izuku had been harboring in the back of his head. The small yet muscular kid stood by the windows of the dorm and stared out, again lost in thought as he had been plenty of times before. The sun was setting and it colored the entire scene around the building in hues that reflected off the drops of water from recent rainfall. The boy just stood and thought, making little other motion that the small effort it took to scratch at the bandaging of a mild injury on his arm. Eri's quirk had helped tremendously during his battle with her captor, but of course he and the others hadn't escaped without any scratches. Some had left in much worse condition, and in honesty, Deku wasn't entirely sure how some of them had survived.

He kept running through his head his memory of the wounds Mirio had by the end of the battle. He had seen people survive injuries like that before, but at the time and given the circumstances, logic wasn't strong in his favor. He was glad of course, as he was with the general quick recovery that most of them experienced. He closed his eyes for a moment to reach back to the quick glances of memory of the battle. They came forward as pictures and captured fragments of events. Keeping his eyes closed too long would strengthen the definition of the bloodied figures and terror of the snapshots, so he quickly opened them again. His mind kept bringing back the way Overhaul had talked about quirks.. Like a disease. He was... fascinated by this perspective. Of course he knew what the man had done was horrid, and every part of him despised him for it, but he wanted to understand. He had never thought much into it. Quirks were a part of genetics, right? Something in your DNA couldn't exactly be considered a disease in the same way he had interpreted it, could it? Quirks weren't contagious. Perhaps he had some point in that belief if he thought we weren't supposed to be born with them.. Like a deformity? But it's so widespread.. Perhaps-

Before he could finish this strand of thought, he became acutely aware that he was being looked at, and shifted his head's angle slightly to the side just before he heard the person speak.

"Are you alright, Deku?" Ochako was on her path from some place to another in the dorm building and had stopped when she saw how zoned out he had been. She held a blanket of some sort over her shoulder. She was probably going to head off to rest. It was getting dark, and with all the commotion of recent events, it made sense for her to go relax around now. Her eyes were lifted slightly more open than usual, having been perked up by her curiosity, and her concern was starting to show in her gaze. She was too kind, really. She didn't need to worry about him muttering or anything. She should be used to that by now. At least that's what Deku thought in the back of his mind.

"Oh?" He straightened himself a bit and turned slightly more to face her. "Yeah." He calmed himself and glanced back out of the window, keeping his stance the same.

"You were starting to mumble to yourself again. At the very least I'm used to it being a little more noticeable than that. You were quite quiet. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't see your lips moving." She smiled a little bit as she attempted to humor him.

Deku gave a chuckle back and put a hand to the back of his head. "Sorry if it's weird. I've.. got a lot to think about."

As if reminded of what had happened, the girl glanced down, her hair sinking ever slightly in front of her eyes as she tried not to let herself portray any sorrow for the memories. She nodded and looked back up to make eye contact. "It's understandable, really." She put her hands together, gently fingering the palm of one hand with the other as she thought. "I'm surprised I haven't started staring off and mumbling too..!" She jerked her shoulders up in a subtle way as she joked again. Her presence was a nice change of pace from Deku's thoughts.