Chapter 3 "Spirits"

I walked behind everyone and let out a sigh as I felt people glaring at me. To say I hadn't expected people to be mad would be an understatement. I had known when I hid my bending that should it ever come to light people would be mad that I lied. Not to mention that there was those who believed I had willingly worked with Amon... Korra's uncle included.

"It's a shame the Southerners have abandoned all connections to the spirits. Even during the most hallowed times." Unalaq said with a frown.

"I've always loved the Glacier Spirits Festival. It's fun." Korra said as she looked around.

"This festival used to be a solemn time of fasting and meditation. Now it's just a chance to watch some rube try to stick an entire arctic hen in his mouth." He said as he looked at Bolin.

I let out a small laugh as I saw Bolin, with a whole arctic hen stuffed inside his mouth.

"What? Oh, it's so good." He muffled out.

Korra closes her eyes and slightly shook her head in amusement, before looking back at Unalaq.

"Traditions change. It's not the end of the world." Tonraq said angrily.

"Tell that to the sailors who are being attacked by angry spirits in southern waters. Some traditions have purpose." Unalaq said softly.

"Wait, spirits are attacking ships?" Korra asked shocked.

"I'm surprised the Avatar doesn't know about that. Apparently you haven't been given all of the information you need. It would be my honor to instruct you in the spiritual ways of the Water Tribe."

"I wouldn't mind learning about fighting spirits. Airbending is getting pretty boring." Korra said softly.

"Tenzin is Korra's instructor. He can give her all the training she needs." Tonraq said sternly.

"So you've said." Unalaq said as he turned and walked away.

"So why is everyone glaring at us? Do I have something in my teeth?" Bolin asked as he opened his mouth.

"They aren't glaring at you all... they are glaring at me." I said softly.

"Why?"

"Because she lied to all of them." Tonraq said with a frown.

"About what?"

"Me being a bender." I said as I looked at the ground.

"So what if you never told, you're still the same Akari." Bolin said softly.

"I'm the daughter of the Chief... lying is.. one of the worse things I could of done."

"Everyone lies though."

"Not about bending... the water tribe... they see bending as a gift... it's sacred and to lie about being one... its to go against everything we believe."

"Oh." He said as he looked at the ground.

He then looked up a me and frowned.

"But I'm sure your dad could smoothen it over. I mean I'm sure he would understand-"

"Bolin, if I even see my father it will be a blessing. I didn't just lie to the water tribe... I lied to him and to my grandparents." I froze as the words came out of my mouth and I looked at the ground.

"Hey, I'm sure Suki isn't mad." Korra said as she gently touched my shoulder.

"Korra... there is no way she isn't mad. I lied about who I was... and I told no one. Not even my grandfather." I said as I looked at the ground.

"Sokka wouldn't-"

I sent her a look and she let out a sigh.

"It will be fine, I'm sure it will all blow over." She said softly.

I nodded my head and we all went around. I stayed near Bolin and kept my eyes open and alert. We soon went to eat and I saw Korra sitting with her family and Unalaq. I let out a sigh as I set alone at the table and stored my drink around.

"Are you okay?" Katara asked as she walked up to me.

"I still haven't seen my father or GranGran.... Katara, do you think they-"

"Your GranGran could never hate you, and neither could your father." She said as she gently squeezed my hand.

"I miss them." I said softly.

"I know." She said softly.

Unalaq soon stood up and I let out a sigh.

"As your chief, it is my honor to speak at this festival, which was founded to bring our tribes together and restore the ancient balance between our world and that of the spirits. But I am saddened to see what it has become: a cheap carnival that celebrates greedy and trivial humans. [Cut to Varrick who is using his plate as a mirror to pick at something in his teeth.] I feel the time is fast approaching when the North can no longer stand idly by while our Southern brothers slip into total spiritual decay. Angry spirits are already attacking ships in your waters. I only hope we are not too late to change course." Unalaq said softly.

He set down and I continued to pick at my food. I soon saw the chair beside me get pulled back and I let out a sigh.

"Yea, Just steal the chair, I don't have anyone here." I said softly.

"Well I'm hurt." A soft voice said.

My head shot up and I looked up to see a woman with dark brown hair and light blue eyes.

"Harmony?" I asked softly.

"Hello Akari, how are you?" She asked as she set down beside me.

"I'm good, is father with you?"

"No, he.. will be here later." She said looking away.

"He hates me doesn't he?" I asked softly.

"No, of course not. He is just very busy with everything going on."

"Is it the spirits?"

"No... it's the Water Tribe.. they.. Akari they wish for you to break ties with the tribe." Harmony said softly.

"What? Why? Just because I hid my bending?" I asked angrily.

"No, because.. they don't think Koda is your father."

My eyes went wide and I froze as she looked up at me sadly.