12.

When Meera woke up after the unplanned and the most peaceful nap she had in days, she saw that people were swarming in and out of her chamber, she got up from the bed and immediately figured out the source of commotion.

Her best friend. Kanika was ordering the maids and setting Meera's room, her trunks with her clothes, jewelleries and books were placed in their respective places, she hadn't brought much from home since she never had foreseen the situation she was in today.

"You are up !" Kanika exclaimed happily. "Hurry up Meera we are already late." She said and got back to whatever she was doing.

"Late ?" Meera asked a little clueless.

"Look outside it's night already, we need to get you to the court hall as soon as possible."

" Gul, help the queen get into her dress quickly." Kanika ordered while looking into her jewellery trunk and fishing something out.

Queen.

The title made her shiver with fear, she thought she would never be one, that was until the crown prince of Amer had asked her hand in marriage, he made a promise he did not keep. The memories were bitter, the reality was bitter, this title made her bitter.

She was dressed in a dark violet coloured velvet lehnga which had intricate silver and golden thread work, the fabric felt so soft against her skin, she wasn't sure if this was one of her own, she was sure she would remember it if she had worn something this beautiful before.

"Did you like it ?" Came a voice and she looked up in the mirror to see Mahnoor's reflection in it.

"It's beautiful, it's very beautiful." Meera said honestly.

"Thank you." Noor smiled. "I have designed it, I drew it on the paper. I drew what I wanted and the seamster made it." She smiled.

"It's really gorgeous." Meera said lining her eyes with khol.
"You should have worn it, I mean what you are wearing is beautiful too but you should have worn this."

"I made this for you." Noor laughed and replied.

"For me ?" Meera asked confused, this stunning piece wasn't conjectured while she slept she was sure of that, then how did Mahnoor know about her.

"Well not exactly you but for my brothers bride, as a welcome gift. And look at the coincidence, the kaamgar (workmen) finished this just two weeks ago, and we had no clue Haider was coming home not alone but with a wife, Allah has a great way of dropping indications." She chuckled.

"I've got you a little something." She said and walked towards her dressing corner and handed Gul two small containers.

"It's going to make you look prettier." She smiled. "Ammi Be is waiting for you down in the Harem courtyard, you need to be introduced to the harem, look pretty and come down soon then we have to go to the court hall as well."

Mahnoor was nothing like her brother except her striking looks, in the little time she knew Mahnoor she had come to like her immensely.
Although Mahnoor she guessed was a couple of years older than she was, she treated her with respect of a queen and the respect as her sister-in-law.

Meera put on all her jewellery she was ready to go.

"Malika one second." Gul made Meera sit in her chair again gently. She opened the first contained and dipped a small cotton bud into it and then brought it to her lip.

"What are you doing ?" She asked confused.

"This is beet root juice Malika it will make your lips lush and red." After applying the liquid on her lips she took another cotton pad and dipped it into the second container and patted the pad on her cheeks.

"It's rose petal powder, it will make your cheeks look flushed." She smiled and Meera returned her smile.

"Can we go now ?" She asked Gul with a laugh and Gul blushed.

"Kanika let's go." Meera called out to Kanika who was already ready and in her bathroom arranging things.

"You look spectacular Meera." Kanika complimented.

"Let's go Ammi Be is waiting for us."
Meera said and rushed out of her chamber followed by Kanika, her two maids Hania and Gul and her two eunuch bodyguards.

She ran down the stair as fast as she could in the heavy lehnga, took the turns trying to remember the path Noor had shown her.

The news about the new queen had spread in the harem like fire. Everyone was talking about her. Some eager to meet the new Queen and some wishing her death already.

It was late in the evening when everyone was asked to assemble in the harem courtyard by the Queen mother.
The harem courtyard was more like a huge open terrace in the middle of the harem, which was often used by the ladies as a common ground for mingling and the place they had lunch.
The courtyard was decorated with colourful chiffon curtains which swayed with the wind and huge stands of candles giving the courtyard a soft glow.

Most of the women were gathered when Inayat Mariyam Khan walked in, her petite figure radiated authority.
Everyone greeted her with their Salam, trying to be on the right side of the one who controlled the harem, they knew she could make or break them.

Inayat sent Noor to call her daughter-in-law to formally introduce her, while she sat on a slightly high raised platform made for the royal family.

"Assalam Walekum Ammi Be." Came a sweet voice and a smile automatically sprouted on Inayat's lips.

"Walekum Assalam Zulekha ."

"Toh Hadi ne Nikha kar liya ?" She asked with a sad smile. (So he is married)

Inayat's heart clenched looking at the broken,hopeless face of her niece. But Zulekha tried to mask it with a smile, although her Bua (Paternal Aunt) could see past her facade.

"Hmm, le aaya Hadi apni dulhan, Bundelkhand ki Sehzadi hai." Inayat replied. (Yes he got his bride, princess of Bundelkhand)

She knew that Zulekha was in love with Haider since they were kids. Zulekha was the daughter of her only brother Ejaz Ali who ruled Lahore under the flag of her son.
There was a unspoken agreement, Zulekha was to marry Haider. Inayat had planned on doing so immediately after Noor's nikkah to Tahir but allah had a different plan.

"And here she is, let me introduce you." Inayat said standing up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise when I slept, I didn't mean to keep you waiting at all." Meera said nervously standing in front of the Queen mother, playing with the hem of her dupatta.

"Koi Nahi Meera." Ammi be laughed at her nervousness. (It's alright)
"Meet Zulekha Ali, she is the princess of Lahore and my niece."

"Namaste." Meera said joining her palms and bowing her head in respect.

"Salam." Zulekha replied with a small smile.

"Chalo baki ki baatein ab darbaar me kar lena." Inayat said and rushed them towards the court hall. (Let's continue our conversation in the court hall)

AN : Thank you all so much for appreciation my work so much, all of those who vote and comment and keep my spirits high and my silent readers as well.