| Eight

EMERY'S AWOKEN by pebbles at her window. She groans, reluctantly throwing the covers away from her body. The cold air immediately hits her bare legs, as she's wearing a long t-shirt that stops low thigh.

She angrily pulls away her curtains, letting the light stream onto her and into the room. When her eyes adjust to the light, she sees somebody that she doesn't want to his early in the morning.

"What is it Harven?" She groans, trying to block the sun. She's aware that her hair is having trouble picking a direction.

He purses his lips when she arrives at the body length window.

"We have a date tonight, Little Emery." He shouts, using a nickname from way back when. Which she hated by the way.

"What do you mean?" She shakes her head. This was supposed to be school limited.

"Don't tell me you didn't hear about the party? Lana's party? We're going together." He nods, and Emery immediately wakes all the way up. She furrows her brows and widens her eyes, remembering her last encounter with the blonde.

"No thank you. I'm not going to her party." Emery begins to shut her window.

"Damn it, Emery- Ethan will be there," He says, and she stops short, "perfect opportunity?" He says.

She doesn't want to admit that this could be her time to make him extremely jealous. Emery never agreed to attend any parties with Ethan. Harven was right.

"Okay," She huffs, "Is there a theme?" She asks. Emery's always been a sucker for themes. Color, categories, you name it.

"Pretty much anything that doesn't scream "nerd." So don't wear anything in your closet." He gives her a thumbs up.

"Hey!" She exclaims, and he closes his window with a final grin. She closes her window and leans back on it. A conversation with him requires recuperation.

Woah, she thinks, I've never even been to a party before. What am I thinking?!

______________

Emery meets May later that day, at their usual table, and Emery can't help but glance at the boys just across from them.

"Um-I need your help." Emery mutters, embarrassed to even be asking what she is and agreeing to this whole thing in the first place.

"Per usual. Yes?" May cocks her head, letting her honey hair fall over her shoulders.

"Well, you see there's a party-"

"Oh yeah, Lana's place."

Emery nods. "I need help with um like- clothes? I don't have anything fitting for the occasion." Emery sticks a forkful of broccoli in her mouth.

May furrows her eyebrows. "You want me to give you some party clothes?" She says slowly.

Emery nods her head pathetically in response, her cheeks full.

"Don't tell me you're going with Harven?" May shakes her head.

Emery whimpers and shrugs.

"Oh Emery." She pats her friends head sympathetically. For once Emery leans into her friend, accepting the pity.

I deserve it, having to stick up with that boy, she thinks.

When lunch is over, Harven falls into step with Emery, who's heading to next period. Emery huffs.

"So I'll pick you up at eight?" Harven asks.

"Oh please don't." Emery gives a dry smile and looks up at the taller boy.