Chapter 23

I plopped my legs down on Logan's lap as we settled into his couch, switching on the television.

"Are you hungry?" asked Logan, causing my stomach to rumble, realising I hadn't eaten anything since that morning.

I nodded. "Yeah, do you want me to make something?"

"There's some cold pizza in the fridge if you want something quick? If not, I can cook something," replied Logan, going to get up off the couch, but I put my hand out.

"Yeah, pizza seems good. Don't worry, I'll get it," I said, making my way into the kitchen, humming to myself as I strolled.

As I slid the glass door open, I noticed Heather sitting at the kitchen table, her eyes intently focused on her hands as she fiddled with her fingers. I continued to look at her as I made my way to the fridge, but she didn't look up.

Millie waddled up to me, her pigtails bouncing with every step as she flashed her pearly white baby teeth at me. "Hello," she mumbled, grabbing onto the bottom of my jeans.

"Hi Millie, you look pretty today," I spoke, pointing at her fluffy pink and purple tutu she was twirling in.

Millie smiled, nodding. "Mommy made it for me."

Heather's head shot up, her stormy eyes meeting mine, flickering them to Millie as she gazed down at her sadly.

"Well, it's beautiful," I said, smiling, my eyes meeting Heather's.

"I want to see Logan!" squealed Millie as she tottered out of the kitchen towards the living room where Logan was noisily watching TV.

"You're a pretty good seamstress," I said to Heather, plopping the slices of pizza down on a plate, turning my back to her, knowing she would probably just shrug me off or tell me to go away.

"It's pretty much my only talent," replied Heather, causing me to turn to her, surprised she had spoken to me without her tone sounding rude or obnoxious. I raised my eyebrows at her, unsure of what to say or how to respond, standing there awkwardly. "I made those pyjamas I gave you."

My eyes widened and I furrowed my brows. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know. I promise I'll give them back to you."

Heather shook her hand, holding her hands up. "It's fine. I can just make some more. It looks like you're going to be needing some pyjamas now anyway since you're staying here."

I nodded, flashing Heather a small smile.

Heather leaned back, pulling her black hair out of her ponytail, ruffling it up messily as she ran her hands through it. "So, you and Logan look pretty cosy. What's that about?"

I shrugged, feeling awkward. "Well, he is my mate."

Heather raised her eyebrows, looking at me in surprise. "So you've accepted it now?"

"Why try and hide it around you? You already know," I replied, taking a bite of my pizza.

"Eliza, I just want the best for Logan. This family hasn't been that lucky in love. I just want one thing to turn out right for somebody."

"What about your mate?" I asked, remembering Heather had mentioned him at the dinner table when I first met her.

Heather's eyes turned gloomy as she dropped her gaze, bowing her head, avoiding eye contact.

"He left after he found out I was pregnant with Millie."

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "I'm sorry," I said, pulling a chair out and taking a seat opposite Heather.