PART 5: Dear Charlotte - Chapter 3

I'm no good at putting words on paper, as is obvious after another ten pages of notes I quickly tear out, scrunch up, and drop in the recycling bin in the kitchen

I'm no good at putting words on paper, as is obvious after another ten pages of notes I quickly tear out, scrunch up, and drop in the recycling bin in the kitchen. I want to ask some of our friends for advice, but the problem is that they're all our friends, mine and Charlotte's; after four years of being so devoted to each other, it was inevitable.

And I'm not sure I trust any of them to keep it to themselves while I figure it out, to be honest. There are a choice few people – like her sister, Laura, or like my best friend from my old job, Jack – who know us both so well that I know their advice would be invaluable, but I also know both of them would start dropping hints to Charlotte, too excited to stay schtum.

So I'm in this alone.

Well, except for Reddit.

I do create a throwaway account and ask for advice in one of the forums I visit a lot, but while everyone's very supportive and encouraging, the clearest bit of advice I get is just 'be yourself!' – which honestly, is not that helpful.

I'm no good at putting words on paper.

It takes me until late in the afternoon to realise what I am good at. Or at least, better at.

I get myself a fresh cup of coffee, sit down in front of my computer and switch on my camera. My vlogging set up is ready from the video I recorded first thing this morning, and I switch it all on mainly out of habit, even though I could probably get away with just my Mac's webcam for all of this. I turn on the lightboxes and spend some time readjusting the curtains to reduce the glare, then settle back into my chair.

I hit record, and take a deep breath.

"Okay." I take another deep breath, looking at myself on the screen and nodding. My hair's standing up more than usual and my shirt is a little rumpled. I straighten my glasses and gulp. "Okay, Ethan, come on, you can do this..."

I was never good at public speaking.

I used to do my best to get out of giving presentations at school. I got so nervous doing one to my tutorial group of six students in university that I actually threw up. Whenever I meet strangers for the first time, I get so in my head trying to not make a bad impression, at the very least, that I think most of the time they think I'm just being standoffish and rude. Lucky for me, Charlotte's a natural charmer, and good with people, and it's easy to ride on her coattails when we have to mingle with strangers at our friends' weddings and stuff.

I started making video diaries after a suggestion from my therapist, who thought it would help with my social anxiety – and would at least help me get through the video interview stage of all the jobs I was applying for, during my final year of uni. And she was right: There was something about talking to the void and interacting with a handful of total strangers on the internet that was strangely comforting.