Chapter 1

Three years ago

Three years ago

"What do you mean you're not going?"

Vicky sat up in bed and clutched the sheet to her chest. I was delusional to think she'd understand.

"I can't. I'm really sorry. I know it's a big deal for you. I'll make it up to you; I promise."

"You'll make it up to me?" Vicky's eyes got huge and were already brimming with tears. Fuck.

"It's only one evening, Vicky. There will be more parties and more dances." My reasoning was lame, but she knew why I needed to be home. She knew what it was like for me.

"There won't be another party like this one, Liam. We're going to graduate. We're supposed to dance in front of the entire school, and you dump me?"

"You know why, and I'm not dumping you. He needs me. Some things are more important than that damn party, Vicky. I thought—"

"You thought what? That you'd come here, sleep with me, and then drop the bomb?"

"I'm telling you that I need to be at home. It's been really bad this week, baby."

Vicky was crying now, facing away from me. I lifted my hand to brush her tears away and tuck in the loose strand from the bun she wore to our dance practice earlier.

"I'm sorry," I said because I really wanted to make it better.

"You're always sorry, Liam, and nothing ever changes. We're together, but I'm alone. What's going on at home is always more important than me. Everyone is more important."

I didn't argue with her this time. What could I say? It wasn't like I had a choice. Vicky went on ranting, and I thought about whether there'd be food in the fridge at home. It was almost dinner time. I prayed for him to be there and keep his promise for once.

Vicky caught me looking at the clock and shook her head in disbelief.

"Are you even listening to me?" she whispered, defeated.

"I am, of course, I am. It's just that-"

"You have to go, right?"

We looked at each other for a moment. I leaned in to give her a kiss, but she didn't let me.

"I'll call you, okay?" I glanced at Vicky before picking up my clothes from her bedroom floor.