Chapter Seventy

As the sky grew darker, Cassiopeia left her bedroom and joined her friends downstairs. The group had separated but were reminiscing about their time at Hogwarts and their memories of McKinnon. Cassiopeia chose to sit in an armchair beside the large window so that she was away from the group. 

She carefully watched the five friends to see whether there was something that would give them away. As usual, she was drawn to James first. She noticed his hair was messy like it had been at Hogwarts, she knew that when he was stressed or upset he would ruffle it up. Tears stains were evident on his cheeks, his eyes slightly puffy, as he told the group about the time he had pranked McKinnon. 

Sirius laughed loudly as he wiped a tear away. He was leant back in his chair as he played with the sleeve of his shirt. Every so often he would glance down to the floor and Cassiopeia realised he had cared about the girl more than he had ever let on. 

Lily cried as she laughed about James's story. She nervously pushed back her hair behind her ear as she bit her lip so much it had begun to bleed. Her eyes were a vibrant green from all the crying she had done the past few hours. Her hand moved so it could squeeze Remus's. 

Remus had a distant expression as he held onto Lily's hand tightly. The two seemed to be taking the death of McKinnon the hardest. He clenched and unclenched his free hand, wincing slightly due to his new scratches. His eyes watered as he tried to be strong.

The last of the five sat alone. Peter was hunched over as he stared down at his shoes. His lip quivering as he furrowed his eyebrows together. He played constantly with the loose thread on his jacket.

Oh, how she hoped it was none of them. 

Peter looked up and caught her stare causing him to narrow his eyes at her. Cassiopeia realised that she was the odd one out there, that she was making herself look suspicions. She sent the boy a small smile before looking away. Cassiopeia stopped observing the group knowing that there would be a reply to her letter soon. 

James suddenly stood up and sat beside Cassiopeia in the armchair. The two already close but then he pulled her closer to him. He wanted her touch to comfort him. So she did. She wrapped her arm around him and reassuringly rubbed her hand up and down his back. She wanted to be there for him, even if she couldn't join in with his grief. 

An hour later and Cassiopeia excused herself from the room. She had told the group she was tired but really the grief was so overwhelming that it had begun to strangle her. When she entered her bedroom she caught sight of her owl at the window with a letter. Cassiopeia quickened her pace and ripped it open. 

Narcissa Malfoy had replied with only one word and it sickened her greatly, 'Pettigrew'.

Cassiopeia constantly reread the name, hoping she was seeing things. He was their friend. He had always admired the other Marauders. Yet he was working for the Dark Lord. 

Footsteps could be heard coming up the staircase cauing Cassiopeia to throw the letter into the fire and watched to make sure it disappeared. 

As James walked in, she turned and smiled sadly at her boyfriend. He wrapped his arms around her waist, his head drooping so it could rest on her shoulder. Cassiopeia stared over his shoulder into the mirror. She would not act immediately on the knowledge she now possessed but she would make sure Peter Pettigrew could not provide the Dark Lord with any more information. He would bring no more pain to the Order of the Phoenix.