Chapter Seventy-Two

The entire Order of the Phoenix was squeezed into James and Cassiopeia's front room. A table had been brought in for them all to sit around while their furniture had been pushed to the side. Cassiopeia was sat at the end of the table beside James and Remus. She felt strangely calm as she knew what was about to happen and that some of their worries would soon be over. 

Once everyone had arrived Dumbledore began, "It would seem that the death eaters know all of our plans," the Headmaster glanced around the table, "We have failed at every turn. Now does anyone have anything to say on the matter?"

Cassiopeia remained silent as she waited for anyone to speak, Lily spoke first, "I don't know why they know about everything we are doing. Could they possibly have a spy or using occlumency or something we don't even know about?"

The rest of the table murmured as Dumbledore stared down at the silent woman, "I believe you have something to say, Miss Black."

She nodded her head before beginning to reveal everything she knew, "The death eaters aren't suddenly mind-readers. They have known about everything we plan to do because someone has been telling them.

"Think about when Lily, Remus, Sirius, James and myself were attacked last week - Peter was ill - it was clear someone had informed them of us coming there. Every single piece of evidence that would have helped us was taken. We had nothing from that mission.

"Or how about when Frank, Alice, Moody and Sirius were attacked when they went to arrest Avery. Luckily for Peter, he had to visit his family last minute.

"Let's think about when the Marauders walked into the trap at Grimmauld Place. Again Peter was very lucky to be busy with work - wasn't it?"

Attention was now on Peter as the boy sweated profusely and either stared at Cassiopeia and the ground, "Y-yes, I was needed to cover a shift."

"That's funny," Cassiopeia replied, "I checked with your work and it turns out it doesn't exist."

"W-what?" Peter refused to look at anyone. 

"It turns out we do have a spy among us," Cassiopeia proclaimed, "Peter Pettigrew."

Dumbledore looked over at her impressed, "And what do you have to say for yourself?"

Peter gulped visibly and he stared over at his three closest friends, "You have known me for years. Since our first year at Hogwarts, you know you can trust me. We're brothers. I would never betray you," The boy rushed his words, scared about what was going to happen to him, "She's a Slytherin! And a Black! She can't be trusted. You know what Slytherins are like! They are cunning and evil."

Immediately James and Sirius towered over him, their wands were drawn threateningly, "Don't you dare ever talk about my girlfriend like that," James warned him, "I won't hesitate to hex you."

Sirius stared down at the boy, "You were our friend."

"I am your friend. You can trust me."

Lily then harshly asked, "What are we going to do with him?"

Cassiopeia smiled as she moved closer to Peter, "You were right that I was a Slytherin and a Black. We don't forgive," She then looked around at the table, "I say we should obliviate his memories and leave him somewhere."

There were murmurs of agreement as Peter began to shake, "Please, I beg you don't. The Dark Lord - he'll find me and torture me."

"You shouldn't have betrayed your friends," Cassiopeia dismissingly told him. 

Once it was agreed, Cassiopeia obliviated his memories and then Moody disapparated with the rat. They would leave the hopeless being in a random High Street and then they would be done with him. He would either have a new life or the Dark Lord would catch up with him. 

Cassiopeia watched the fire crackle in her bedroom, feeling calm that the spy had been dealt with. James came up from behind her and wrapped his arms around her, "How did you figure it out?"

She leaned her head against his shoulder, "I realised that we had to have a spy, with everything that had happened it was the only logical explanation. So I asked my sister."

James pulled slightly away from her, "Narcissa? Why would Narcissa Malfoy want to help the Order out?"

"She wasn't helping the Order, she was helping me," Cassiopeia smiled sadly, "We promised we would never betray each other."

James tightened his grip as he kissed her head - knowing she missed Narcissa more than she could and would ever express.