Chapter thirty four - In which you sneak off

Author's note: Hey y'all, I thought I'd post a day early to celebrate this fic getting back up to #1 in the #loki tag, and also we're almost at 30k! I'm awful at posting religiously on a set day, sorry about that XD I know I keep saying it but thank you thank you x 3000 to everyone who is reading and supporting this fic, I hope you all know you're making me insanely happy <3 I have a feeling you're all about to shout at me after this chapter though hehee, enjoy! <3

...

The corridor was cooler than the hall; almost cold. You were leaning against the wall (out of sight of anyone in the hall) with your arms wrapped around yourself, trying to look inconspicuous in case anyone happened to walk past. A few minutes went by and you began to get bored, wondering if you'd made some sort of mistake. No, Loki had definitely been talking to you, unless there was someone else in the room who he could communicate with through his mind. The thought made you feel vaguely sick.

Just as you were thinking this, Loki walked out of the hall.

"Sorry, I got stuck talking to someone. Come on, quick." he said, not stopping.

Who had he been 'stuck' talking to? You hoped it was that girl. No, that was mean. You still hoped it was her though. And why did you have to be quick? You voiced this question to Loki aloud.

"You'll see." was his simple reply, leading the way up a different staircase than the one you'd climbed before.

"I'm intrigued." you probed, wanting and find out more and trying to work out where you might be going, but it was impossible in this maze of a palace. Loki didn't reply, exuding something like... trepidation? Annoyance? It was hard to tell when he was practically speed-walking away from you.

"What's wrong?" you asked, frowning.

"Nothing. Hurry up."

You stopped. After a few paces he stopped too and span around to look at you almost angrily. Thereafter followed a very intense staring contest which only lasted about five seconds, and which you won. Loki's shoulders slumped and he performed what was possibly the best eye roll you'd ever seen him do and sighed dramatically.

"Do you enjoy being so stubborn?" he asked, walking back towards you, defeated.

"Do you enjoy being so rude to people?" you countered, fighting down a smile.

"Yes."

You tried to look at him disapprovingly, but you couldn't hold back the smile which ruined it.

"Not you though. I'm sorry, it's just some of the people down there..." he said, glaring back down towards the hall, not finishing his sentence.

Ah. That explained it. He looked back at you.

"Go back down if you want. This was -"

"No, I have to find out what this secret is we have to rush to." you told him, pointing ahead down the corridor.

"Come on then." Loki said, and you were pleased to noticed he seemed slightly cheered.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to come across as rude." he told you, now walking alongside rather than ahead of you.

"I know. Who annoyed you, out of interest?" you asked casually.

"Who didn't." he scowled; you laughed.

"Odin, for one, he can't seem to look at me without frowning. And then – in here." he said suddenly, pointing to the door on your side of the corridor. You pushed it open. And stared. Loki carried on talking, but you didn't hear a word he said.