Chapter Twenty-eight

'Diverting from the Light'

Evan Potter stood in the large doorway, his dress robes barely holding in his large body as he strutted towards the top table. The crowd had gone silent at this point, all watching The-Boy-Who-Lived intently.

"Why have you started without me!" He yelled, his face as red as Weasley's hair. Everyone in the hall had frozen, waiting for whatever was to happen next. Suddenly, Hadrian began laughing. Every eye in the hall flickered to him as he slowly stopped chuckling.

"Stop laughing!" Screamed Evan, shoving his hand into his pocket and withdrawing his wand. Soon his wand was pointed towards Hadrian, his eyes gleaming in anger.

"What you can't blame me, you look ridiculous," Hadrian chuckled, causing a few other students to grin. Evan's face flushed even more as he gripped his wand tighter, still pointing it at Hadrian.

"Why did you start without me!" Evan screamed again, his whole body shaking in anger. James stood up aswell, moving to stand next to Evan, looking like a proud father.

"We were already running 10 minutes late, yet you didn't show up for another 36 minutes. We had no choice but to start without you," McGonagall's cold voice cut through the silence.

"That's not my fault!" Evan yelled back, causing Hadrian to laugh once more before speaking coldly.

"Well, I'd love to hear why you're so late. Dress robes couldn't fit? Or perhaps you couldn't find a date? You did come in hear alone, didn't you," Hadrian smirked, watching with amusement as Evan grew angrier.

"How dare you speak to my son like that!" James yelled at Hadrian.

"Yeah! And it's not my fault! Ginny was meant to be my date! But she went with some bastard! And Granger was meant to be my backup date, because there was no way she would be asked out!" Evan yelled. An uneasy silence settled over the hall after his last statement.

Hadrian turned to Hermione, who was looking at Evan in shock, a single tear falling down her cheek. Victor had an arm around her, holding her carefully.

"I'm not meant to be a last resort, Evan! I've done nothing but help you since first year, and you can't even treat me with respect! I've had it with you and Ronald treating me like this! We're over!" Granger yelled, more tears falling down her cheeks as she got up and ran out the door. Victor quickly got up, running after her, making sure to shove Evan aggressively as he left.

Hadrian lent closer to Draco, whispering in his ear before following Victor out of the hall.

***

Hermione was sitting the the library, crying silently. Her one chance at a wonderful night with Victor had been ruined. For most of her life in the Wizarding World, Hermione had looked up to Evan for his part in the defeat of The Dark Lord. Yet, time after time, he had treated terribly. Tonight had been the last straw.

"Regretting your loyalty to him?" A voice spoke from behind her. She had been vaguely aware of Victor moving as she had left the hall, yet that definitely wasn't his voice.

Turning around, Hermione was met with the smirking face of Hadrian Black.

"I- yes." She eventually stuttered out, her eyes red and irritated from all the times she had rubbed away tears.

"But, he's- he defeated the Dark Lord, so-" she continued. Hadrian sighed, his emerald eyes never leaving Hermione's face. He let out a soft chuckle before speaking.

"Do you really believe that someone with as much magical talent as him could defeat a wizard like Voldemort," he grinned, crossing his arms and leaning against the old bookcases of the library. Hermione's eyes widened and her mouth fell open, she had never thought about that.

"Yes, it is hard to believe." Hadrian smirked, "And maybe the light isn't really that good," he continued, watching her face closely.

"What- but how can that be?" She asked, shock evident on her face.

"Well, let me explain to you," Hadrian said with a wolf-like grin, his eyes gleaming in excitement. It would take some explaining to make Granger, who had always looked up to figures of authority, divert from the light, mainly Albus Dumbledore. But soon enough, Hadrian would ensure that she no longer stood by Evan Potter or Albus Dumbledore.

***

Hadrian eventually returned to the Yule Ball, a smirk painted on his face. Draco eagerly rushed over to him once he entered. The blonde quickly latched onto his date's arm.

"So, what was that about?" He asked as Hadrian placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Just a little recruitment, Dray," he replied as they walked towards the center of the hall. Hadrian could see a lot of students dancing, aswell as professors. Evan was sulking in the corner of the room with Weasley, both quickly began glaring at Draco and him as they began dancing.

Hadrian rested his hands on Draco's waist as the two slowly began to dance. Draco's arms were draped over Hadrian's shoulders as they moved. Draco was looking into Hadrian's eyes, emersed in the killing curse green. The blonde would do anything for Hadrian.

Hadrian was smirking knowingly. Evan had just given up one of his most useful allies. Dumbledore knew things, however the old man let is ego get in the way. Weasley was entirely useless, he had no brains or talent. Hermione had and almost infinite knowledge, gained from years of reading and memorising. She would have been useful in his endeavour to defeat Voldemort. With everything the Dark Lord had planned, he couldn't afford for Evan to have someone like Granger on his side. Thankfully, he had hardly needed to do anything in order to split them up. It was only a matter of time until his plan was in action. And then, it would only be a matter of time until the light fell. He would have his revenge against Dumbledore and the Potters.

***

"They told you not to dance with demons, but my love, you wear rebellion well."