19 | pure joy and euphoria

~ ❁ ✾ ❃ ❋ ~

~ ❁ ✾ ❃ ❋ ~

For the nth time, Y/n checked her outfit in the mirror. She looked beautiful. Not a hair out of place. Behind her, Bibha was yawning non-stop to express her state of boredom. She had been sitting on her friend's bed for half an hour, watching her go back and forth between the mirror and the wardrobe without even opening it.

"Time's running. I'm leaving in five. Don't forget I am the one with a car," the Bengali woman warned Y/n.

The latter let out a heavy sigh, nodding in agreement. With one last glance at the mirror, she grabbed her handbag and followed Bibha outside.

Both women lived in the same neighborhood, which was how Bibha and Jihyo had met in the first place. In no time, the South Asian got along with the small group of friends. Jihyo trusted and loved her enough to make her one of her maids of honor, along with Y/n, Sun, Hana, and Yeojon—her sister.

On their way to Jihyo and Jimin's lunch, Bibha and Y/n were talking about the upcoming wedding. They had met the groom a few times, and it had been established that he was one of the nicest people on Earth. No wonder he fell for Jihyo; they were quite similar. One pure heart could only love another one, and it happened.

"Sun texted me. She's there."

The driver nodded, eyes glued to the road. "Are you nervous?"

Surprised by the sudden question, Y/n stared at her friend for a few seconds before clearing her throat. "No, why would I be?"

Bibha shrugged. "No clue. That's why I'm asking. You're awfully quiet, and that's unlike you."

The (h/c)-haired woman sighed, letting her head fall on the back of the passenger seat. Indeed, she was nervous. The thought of seeing Jungkook after all those years was enough to make her panic.

"Someone I know is supposed to attend lunch. He's one of Jimin's best men. We met in college, and we were pretty close," she smiled to herself, thinking of the days back then. "I just don't know how I'm supposed to act with him. It's been five years."

"Is he your ex?"

Y/n bit her lower lip and shook her head no. "No, but we used to—" she paused, thinking of a simple way to describe the ambiguous relationship she had with the man. "He liked me, and I liked him; but I couldn't allow us to go further for the sake of a friend."

Her friend didn't question her further. In fact, they had reached Jihyo's house, and it was time for Y/n to face the man with whom she never had real closure.

~ ♡ ~

The doorbell rang, signaling that the last guests had finally arrived. Standing in the kitchen with Jimin and his brother, Woojin, he felt like his heart could explode anytime soon.

"Woo, what are you doing? It's clotted cream with cucumber, not mayonnaise!" Jihyo scolded her future in-law when she noticed his mistake.

Standing in the kitchen's entrance were two women, both amused by their friend's outburst. Jimin used a dish towel to dry his hands before approaching the guests.

"Y/n, Bibha! It's good to see you!"

Jungkook took a deep breath, still facing the sink with his back turned to the guests. All of a sudden, he was struck by the memories he shared with Y/n; the flourishing feelings, the laughter, the jokes, the confessions, the joy she brought to his life. Five years had passed; she must've changed a lot. He was dying to turn around and get a glimpse of her (e/c) eyes, her (h/c) hair, the shy smile he grew fond of. Jungkook missed Y/n, and his love for her had never faded away. It remained hidden, locked in his heart; waiting for her to come back.

Slowly, the man turned around. He first noticed an unfamiliar woman with a big smile on. She bobbed her head out of respect before announcing her name, giving him no other choice than to introduce himself.

At that precise moment, his gaze fell on the other guest, putting him at a loss for words. The only sight of the grown and pretty woman he liked could send him to Heaven. There she was, standing in the kitchen's entrance with sparkling eyes. She was beautiful, even more than she used to be. There were so many things he was dying to do: stand closer, hug her tight, touch her face, caress her (sk/tone) skin, talk to her, hear her voice, see her smile, and most of all: kiss her.

Y/n, on the other hand, wanted to disappear. Jungkook looked great, beautiful, handsome, gorgeous, ethereal, whereas she thought she hadn't changed a bit since college. She felt like a dirty pile of smelly trash; not even close to his league. But then, he smiled. Their eyes met, and it seemed like they were alone, in their own bubble. No more Jihyo nor Jimin; even less Bibha and Woojin.

It was just Y/n and Jungkook, Jungkook and Y/n; quietly enjoying the long-awaited reunion.

The (h/c)-haired woman was the first one to speak. "Jungkook," she said, and it was enough for the said man to melt. "Long time no see."

There was no rancor nor ill-feeling, only pure joy and euphoria.

"Indeed," Jungkook took a few steps forward, "I'm glad you came."

Because this wasn't a private reunion, the groom intervened. "I am glad you came!" he exclaimed.

Jihyo smiled to herself, surprised by her friend's composed behavior. She could tell Y/n was genuinely happy to see Jungkook after all those years. Perhaps his sudden reappearance could help her forget about Hoseok.

~ ♡ ~

During lunch, Y/n and Jungkook couldn't really talk since they were sitting far from each other.

"What is with the two of you?"

Y/n nearly jumped, surprised by Hana whispering in her ear. The latter cocked an eyebrow as a smirk appeared on her face. She was amused.

"What are you talking about?"

Hana rolled her eyes. "Jungkook and you. The both of you can't stop throwing glances at each other. Happy to see him?"

Y/n blushed. "We were friends; of course, I am."

She never had the courage to admit her true feelings regarding Jungkook to anyone except Jihyo. Therefore, Hana could not understand why both her friend and Jungkook were acting so weird.

"There's nothing else?"

The (h/c)-haired woman pursed her lips, averting her eyes from her friends'. "No, nothing else."

Hana sighed, unwilling to put her in an uncomfortable position. Seconds later, she was engrossed in an animated debate with Bibha and Eric, Jimin's best friend, which allowed Y/n to breathe out and avoid an awkward conversation.

She was aware that Hana wouldn't stop her from appreciating Jungkook, especially now that she had found love with an adorable and caring woman, who was none other than Bibha. Nonetheless, it would still be weird to have this conversation now.

When the lunch came to an end, all of the guests helped the soon-to-be-married couple to clean up. Y/n, who was done with her task, headed to the balcony. It was warm outside, and the sun was shining bright. The woman took a seat on one of the three chairs, enjoying the nice weather.

A few seconds later, she heard the balcony's door slide open. Her eyes fluttered open, allowing her to see who had joined her. It was Jungkook.

Carefully, he closed the door behind him. "Can we talk?" he asked.

Y/n nodded, gesturing for him to sit down.

✭☆