Calm before the storm

Hey guys! Your lazy ass writer is back with a new chapter! Sorry, I haven't been releasing new chapters recently but with the quarantine in effect and summer closing in, I'm able to start writing frequently again! So sit back and relax, and enjoy the chapter.

"So you fought alongside the Flame Baron?" Wyvern asked sitting up.

"Yes, I did. I already explained this to you," Jackson sighed taking a bite of his curry. They were currently sitting in a small restaurant owned by an elderly couple. Currently, it was about 12:00 PM and they were exploring the city.

Wyvern leaned back, "I know you did, but still! It's pretty hard to imagine you working alongside someone like him."

Jackson looked at her, "Why is that?"

Wyvern pulled at her collar, "Well...you see...you are....well, you."

"What the hell is that post to mean!" he yelled.

"I don't know!"

Jackson sighed once again, "Just finish up your food, and let's go." Wyvern nodded and began to scarf down her food. Jackson frowned at his companion's manners but decided to say nothing about it. Paying the bill the duo walked outside and was met with the cramped streets of the Citadel.

"What are we going to do next?" Wyvern asked.

Jackson looked around, "Maybe we should upgrade our equipment?" Jackson forgot to grab a plate carrier from the armory and Wyvern could use one too. Maybe a skull bandana too. Got to get that operator feel. Walking to the main square Jackson saw what he was looking for. Right in the center of the square stood a large building, probably a mall, showing an array of guns, vests, and helmets in its display windows. Walking up Jackson saw that it read, "The Castle".

"Woah," Wyvern gasped, "Look the size of this place!" The duo entered the building and was met tables and stalls of traders trying to sell their products. Looking around, Jackson saw HKs, MK17s, M249s, and even a Desert Eagle. But as they were looking, Jackson stopped. Wyvern looked behind her, "Why did you stop?" Jackson stopped in front of a stall filled with assault rifles, snipers, and pistols, but that wasn't what he was looking at. A Super Shorty shotgun sat in a glass case in front of him.

"Something catching your eye?," said the vendor in a thick Australian accent.

Jackson looked up, "Where did you exactly get that?"

The vendor pulled the shotgun out of the case, "Aww this beauty, this thing can bring an elephant down. I took it off some jolly bugger after he showed up plastered at my stall."

Wyvern walked up to the stall eyeing the shotgun, "You're buying that thing, Jackson?"

"How much?" Jackson asked ignoring Wyvern.

And without any pause, the man threw the shotgun. "Keep it. It has been here for years and nobody ever showed any interest in that piece of shit."

"Thank you?" Jackson slung the shotgun at his waist. Jackson began to look around again as Wyvern pouted at him.

"Why can't I get free things thrown at me!" she complained. Jackson continued to ignore Wyvern as he talked to vendors, look at items, and haggling prices, and a couple of hours later they were back outside. Jackson was wearing a plate carrier carrying a level 4 armor plate along with baseball cap and skull bandana with the Super Shotty slung under his arm loaded with buckshot. Wyvern decided to wear a level 3 armor plate and a pair of Oakley sunglasses.

"Why the sunglasses?" Jackson pointed out.

"Dunno why the bandana," Wyvern said back.

Jackson shrugged, "Intimidation."

Wyvern grinned, "Well, I'm wearing these for style," The sun was in the middle of the sky as they migrated through the streets and alleys of the city. Civilians parted way as the two walked seeing the two of them. They may see armed soldiers and bandits all the time but this was different.

"Who are they? Where did they come from?", were questions that were murmured across the street.

Jackson looked at himself, "Are we that intimidating?"

Wyvern scoffed, "Is that even a question? Look at your self! You look like you came from Mad Max!" Suddenly alarms sounded throughout the city and soon the crowds were running right into there houses and any open shops.

Jackson grabbed a patrolling guard, "What's happening!?!"

"We're being attacked by bandits!" the guard yelled shaking off Jackson's hand. An explosion shook the city as smoke plumed from the walls.

"Shit" Jackson muttered as he started running towards it.

"Why are we heading towards it?" Wyvern asked

Jackson kept looking forward," That explosion means that they either breached the wall or about too."

"But why us?"

"If we fail, people will be killed, and we won't be paid." Wyvern sighed. Jackson unslung his shotty, as Wyvern pulled out her USP. Reaching the wall they saw that bandits had already flooded in through a good-sized hall in the wall. "Okay here's what we are going to do, I'm going to get close and you're going to cover me."

Wyvern looked at him, "Seriously? That's your plan, what about..." Jackson cut her off and rushed towards the breach. Wyvern looked at him and immediately raised her pistol. Two bandits realized Jackson but fell to the ground as Jackson shredded one bandit with hit shotgun and Wyvern put a hole in the other. Jackson slid into a concrete barrier grabbing a bandit's rifle and grenades, which was an AK-74m.

"Here!" Jackson yelled as he threw the gun and ammo to Wyvern behind him. Gunfire slammed into the barrier as Wyvern fired shots that each took the life of a vagrant. Jackson primed a hand grenade and threw it over his head.

"Grenade!" yelled bandits as they took cover. Jackson vaulted over the barrier even before the grenade exploded and ran pistol raised towards the bandits. The grenade exploded killing two bandits and as they stood from there cover they were met with Jackson. Jackson shoved his pistol into the stomach of a stunned bandit firing two shots and headshotting another. He ducked the panicked swing of another one and fired a shot into the knee of his attacker. The man cried in pain but was silenced as he took a pistol to the head. Jackson heard a scream behind him and looking behind him saw a machete-wielding man. Before he can even attack a round silenced his screams. Wyvern's AK was raised smoking. Jackson nodded and Wyvern nodded back. Jackson heard more voices coming from the breach and braced for another confrontation but as bandits rushed through they were mowed down by a heavily armed group of guards rushing in to secure the breach.

"Put your gun down!" screamed a guard as Jackson raised his hands, dropping his M1911 and Super Shotty, Wyvern did the same dropping her AK. Wyvern and Jackson were on their knees with rifles pointed at their heads.

"Can't you put your gun down? We're not bandits." Jackson said but was immediately hit by a butt of a rifle.

"Shut your goddamn mouth!" screamed the guard as pressed the barrel of the rifle against Jackson's head.

"Hey!" Wyvern yelled as she saw what was happening. Then suddenly a familiar voice rang out.

"What is happening!" Mayor Travis yelled walking into view.

"Uhh, securing prisoners sir," a guard replied.

Travis looked at Wyvern and Jackson, " They don't look like prisoners to me!"

"They were at the breach and were armed..."

Travis sighed, "Just because they were just here doesn't mean they're goddamn bandits! Let them go." The guards immediately let both of them go and Wyvern ran to Jackson.

"Are you okay?" Wyvern asked concern moving Jackson's head around.

Jackson moved her hand away, "Yeah yeah I'm fine, just a little sore."

"Sorry about that," Travis said walking up to them, "I would like to thank you, but we have other problems at the moment."

Jackson raised his brow, "What other problems?"

Travis sighed, "The Baron made his move."