chapter three

It wasn't long before the first task was beginning to take place. I was sat in the arena awaiting Harry to enter after all the other champions had managed to steal their eggs from the dragons. Draco was to my right while Blaise was to my left. I decided against sitting with Ron and Hermione as I felt as though it would make me even more nervous. I was still angry at Harry however I wanted him to succeed none the less. I think Ron felt the same as me as I glanced over to him playing the hem of his sleeve. Before long, Harry was seen entering the arena and I took a deep breath.

"He's been given the Hungarian Horntail, that's the most dangerous of the lot." Draco commented thoughtlessly as I gave him a quick glare.

Harry started running towards the egg fearlessly at first before the dragon swung his tail towards Harry making him fall to the floor. I gasped, grabbing Draco's hand next to me without thinking and didn't realize until he gave me a reassuring squeeze. Surprisingly, this calmed me down slightly, but my eyes were still glued to the scene in front of me. He made a few more failed attempts as the dragon sent fire his way and continued to try to hit him with its tail.

"Your wand, Harry! Your wand!" Hermione screamed from the stalls.

"Accio firebolt!" Harry shouted, hiding himself from the dragon. My grip on Draco's hand got tighter as I leant forward. The broom came flying towards him and he jumped onto it. Harry distracted the dragon before swooping down and grabbing the egg. The crowd erupted in cheers and I stood, cheering along before hugging Draco.

Later that night, I joined the rest of the Gryffindors in the Gryffindor common room as they celebrated Harry. I was sat next to Ron as Fred and George lifted Harry into the air.

"The more I think about it – the more I realize how stupid it would be for Harry to actually put his own name into the goblet." Ron murmured to me.

"Go make up to him you big oaf." I chuckled. Harry opened the egg and it released a loud scream before he shut it again. Ron stood to his feet walking up to him and I followed closely behind.

"What the bloody hell was that?" Ron announced. Ron and Harry made awkward eye contact for a while.

"Alright everyone, go back to your knitting. This is going to be uncomfortable enough without all you nosey sods listening in." George said before everyone began chattering amongst themselves.

"I reckon you'd have to be barking mad to put your own name in the goblet of fire" Ron mumbled, looking at his feet.

"Caught on, have you?" Harry replied. "Took you long enough" Harry and Ron quickly made up before Harry turned to me and Ron walked off. I stepped forward, a stern look on my face.

"What I said still stands, I want you to promise me you won't hide anything from me anymore." I said sternly.

"Fine." He chuckled. "I won't hide anything from you anymore." We continued to look at each other before I broke my act and jumped on him, engulfing him in a hug. We stayed like that for a while before I stepped back. "I still find it weird how much time you've been spending with Malfoy recently."

"No more than I have every other year at Hogwarts." I said rolling my eyes. "Plus, you should be thanking me. I could be your double agent." We both laughed and returned to the group conversation.

-

A few mornings later, I was sat at breakfast with the Gryffindors. Harry turned and looked at Cho Chang on the Ravenclaw table and she gave him a wave. Harry went to smile at her forgetting he had pumpkin juice in his mouth and spilt it all down himself. I burst out laughing before covering my mouth and Harry elbowed me. Ron had received a parcel and upon opening it we had realized he'd been sent some very old-fashioned dress robes.

"Mum's sent me a dress!" Ron groaned. "Ginny this must be for you."

"I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." Ginny complained.

"They're not for Ginny, they're for you!" Hermione chuckled. "Dress robes."

"Dress robes? What for?!" Ron exclaimed as everyone erupted in laughter.

"The Yule Ball, you moron." Fred and George said in unison. I laughed along; however, I was also unaware of the fact there were to be a ball at Hogwarts this year.

That same day, McGonagall began teaching us all ball dancing. We were all sat with miserable faces as a few of the girls had excited ones.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night we will gather in the great hall for a night of well-mannered trevoletory." McGonagall began. She began teaching using Ron as an unwilling volunteer causing us all to laugh. She soon instructed us all to grab a partner and begin practicing. My eyes scanned the room for a white-haired boy and when our eyes finally met, I smirked at him. He walked over to me and held his hand out which I Gracefully accepted. Harry and Ron both shot me a deadly look, but I chose to ignore it. We didn't exchange any words as he placed his hand on my waist and connected his other with mine. He began dancing with me and it was clear this wasn't the first time he'd done this.

"Been to many balls, Malfoy?" I smiled at him hinting at his clear ball dancing skills.

"We used to have a Christmas ball at Malfoy manor." Draco smirked. He guided me around the room as most of the other boys were stumbling around.

"Well then, I'm lucky to be partnered with such a pro." I said as we laughed and continued dancing.