| Ten

EMERY STANDS in front of the bookshelf in the school library, looking for something new to hurry through on her free period.

She examines the spines, and comes across one that looks promising. She pulls it from the shelf, and sees one dark eye. She jumps back, surprised. She starts to remove the others.

When her arms are overflowing with dusty books, she recognizes the boy as Kade. She smiles.

"Quite a creepy way to get my attention, Kade." She licks eyes with him from the other side of the shelf.

"Oh? I thought it was cinematic." He scoffs, and disappears.

He comes around and helps Emery place the books back. She looks up at the taller boy.

"Hi." She says.

"Hi Emery." He responds.

She shakes her head and heads back to her table with the book she spotted earlier. Kade follows right behind her.

"Okay I've never seen you in here before." Emery smirks from behind her book.

His lips part. "What? I come here all the time to- um you know, read." He shrugs, leaning back in his chair.

"Mhmm." Emery nods, hiding behind knowing smile.

"Okay fine. I saw you come in here and I thought you might want company." He says, showing off his crooked smile.

"From you?" She places her book down.

His face goes blank, and he straightens up.

"Because in that case, I do." She grins.

He lets out a breath and lets out a relieved laugh.

"You're ice cold." He shakes his head.

She sees Harven come into sight outside the library doors. His head goes to Kade. He starts to head towards them.

"Hey, babe." He says, slipping an arm around Emery's shoulder. She grimaces lightly at him.

"Hey, Harven. What a nice surprise." She says flatly.

"You never fucking come to the library, Kade." Harven turns to him, chuckling skeptically.

Kade rolls his eyes. "It seemed like a good day to start, eh?" He responds.

Emery had already gotten back to her book, not having any interest in their conversation. Harven pulls her up and away from the table, leaving her to give Kade a lost look.

"Emery, what is wrong with you?" Harven asks when they reach a crevice in the hallway.

She widens her eyes. "What? I've done nothing." She defends. He gives her a dumb look, and you bet she gives one right back.

"You told me not to get with anyone and you're getting all sappy with Kade?" He says harshly.

"Oh that's nothing. Just talking to someone who's actually a good person. You could learn a thing or two." She cocks her head.

(We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two- a/n sorry😂)

"Just lay off the flirting. You're letting our facade slip. Tsk." He finishes.

"We're friends, okay. And that babe thing? Not gonna work." She shakes her head.

"Don't be such a killjoy, Emery." He rolls his eyes. She huffs. Emery turns her head, seeing Ethan just a couple feet away, already looking her way.

She stares, blocking the thoughts.

"You looking for something?" Harven shouts from behind her. She widen her eyes and twists around.