VII

Ben was at the top of my to-do list today.

No, not that.

I had written him a little card and bought the new game he wanted, and I was making my way to his house just after school. I had wanted to surprise him with it for over a week but hadn't had the chance to give it to him.

I parked just outside his neighbours house, where there was room for my car. The entire street was full of cars kicked up on the pavement.

There was a small red car outside his house which I had never seen before, but it was probably one of the new neighbours cars. They didn't seem very bright the first time I had met them.

He had given me a spare key, so I unlocked the door quietly and snuck in. I shut the door with ease and kicked off my shoes, tip-toeing upstairs.

There was some rustling inside the room, so I had presumed he was in there on his game console or something.

Boy, was I wrong.

"Hey Benny boo," I giggled, opening the door.

The rustling stopped. I dropped the little disc box, my jaw dropping wide open. Tears welled up in my eyes, my blood beginning to boil.

Inside the room was him and what looked like a hooker. She was completely naked, riding him right before my eyes. As it turned out, Ben was on top of her to-do list as well.

And then it clicked. The red car outside was probably hers. It would take all of my willpower not to carve a rude phrase onto the bonnet with my keys after seeing what they were up to behind my back. 

"Fuck you," I hissed, "and fuck you too, whore"

Okay, shouldn't have called her that. But in my defence, I wanted to. I picked up the dented game package, shoved it in my pocket and ran down the stairs, wiping the tears away from my cheeks.

"Ava, wait!" He called, trying to jump into a pair of joggers whilst foolishly running down after me. If only he had accidentally tripped.

"No thank you" I spat, yanking the front door open.

"Ava! Does this mean I can't have the game?"

I stopped in my tracks, turning around. The vein in my forehead was just about to burst.

"What did you just say to me?" I snarled, "of course you can't have the God damn game! I trusted you Ben, and for what? I bet you took me out the other day to make up for all of the cheating you've been doing"

He was silent. His new toy ran to the door, leaning on the door frame, watching the whole ordeal unfold.

I looked down, holding the hem of my hoodie in my hands. Well, it was actually his hoodie. A tear rolled down my cheek, dropping onto the blue fabric.

"Uh, can I get that back too?" He asked, pointing at the hoodie.

"No. It's mine now, you gave it to me and I'm keeping it" I said confidently, grabbing my car keys.

I strutted over the road, getting into the car. He watched me drive away, then ran back inside and slammed the door. I parked again, further down the street, and sobbed.

My phone buzzed, notifying me that he had already changed his status to "single".

Then, a light bulb switched on inside my very excellent brain. I unlocked my phone, scrolling to the contacts page.

I clicked Jungkooks name, selected text and began to type.