Chapter 17: School Festival

Chapter 17:

One month later

Mizuki kneeled down in front of her father's gravestone with a bouquet of white roses in one hand and a candle in the other. Today marked the one year since her father's tragic death - something that their family had a hard time accepting.

In Loving Memory of Toma Hisashi,

Devoted Husband, Father, and an Inspiration to All

01/15/1975 - 07/22/2011

"To give any less than your best is to sacrifice a gift."

"Hi dad," Mizuki murmured softly, "I miss you a lot."

She carefully placed the flowers and lit the candle in front of the gravestone. The cemetery was located at a beautiful, secluded park near the mountains of Miyagi. Her family already visited in the morning to pay their respects, however, Mizuki returned in the afternoon to visit once more.

"I wish you were here," She sighed deeply, "I sure could use your advice right now."

She stared at the gravestone, wondering if it was strange that she was talking to an engraved rock.

"So many things happened this past month. Sorry I didn't visit you as much," Mizuki pouted, unsure of what to say, "Mom said that we might be getting a new car."

The wind blew softly which caused her to protect the flame that burned bright on the candle. She tucked her hair behind her ear and cleared her throat. "Okay, Dad, I need advice."

"Remember when I told you last time that Kageyama said he had feelings for me? After that day, Kei refuses to talk to me about what happened," She complained, "Whenever I would bring it up, he would change the subject or he would walk away. It's so annoying!"

Suddenly, a yellow butterfly landed on her father's gravestone. She couldn't help but smile at the tiny creature walking on it.

"I don't know what to do, dad. Should I tell Kageyama what I really feel about him?" Mizuki kept an eye on the butterfly which seemed to be standing still.

"Yes, if the butterfly flies away in five seconds, or no if the butterfly stays after five seconds." She moved closer and watched the butterfly intensely, waiting for it to make a move.

"What are you doing?" A familiar voice interrupted her unexpectedly.

She looked up and found Kei staring at her with a confused expression on his face. He was wearing a black buttoned-up shirt with grey jeans and his headphones rested on around his neck. He was also holding a bouquet of daisies with his left hand.

"Kei! What are you doing here?" Mizuki asked, clearly surprised by his presence.

"I came to pay my respects to your dad." He casually walked over to her, "I thought your family already went this morning."

"We did, but I wanted to visit again, just to talk to him." She answered, smiling softly.

"Oh, I'm sorry for interrupting. I'll go." Before he could walk away, she quickly responded to him.

"No, it's alright. You can stay." Mizuki gazed up and encouraged him to stay.

Kei shuffled and quickly kneeled with her in front of her father's gravestone. He read it and realized that he was only 36 years old when he died. It was too soon.

"Did you say you came back to talk to him?" He inquired, placing the bouquet of daisies he got beside Mizuki's roses.

"Yeah. My grandma said that it might help me feel better if I talked to him as if he was still..." She trailed off, her expression changing from sincere to solemn.