Prologue *edited*

vote and comment throughout thnks

Hiccup; an involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs

Flaws.

Everyone has them, no matter who you are. Flaws are what make us, us. Flaws are what make us unique and what make us human. We can choose to let them rule us, or we can embrace them for what they are. Because in the end, how can someone love you, if you cannot love yourself?

For Ashton, it was hard for him due to his consistent hiccups. It was the one thing he was most insecure about, not able to see a way that he could possibly get past it. He'd tried everything, from holding his breath, to laying upside down; nothing seemed to help. Throughout his life, he'd been to many doctors and neither of them could seem to figure out the problem. After a while, they gave up. Ashton was sick of hearing the same thing over and over again.

We've never seen anything like this before.

There's nothing we can do

We're sorry

It just seemed hopeless and he couldn't handle the consistent reminder that he would never be able to change. The only advice they had given was to buy him a respirator to help him breathe while he slept. If he didn't use it, he could stop breathing all together. It was a pain, however he knew it was necessary. Ashton awoke that morning to his mother, Anne, shaking him vigorously.

"What?" Ashton mumbled, removing his breathing mask from his mouth and sitting up slowly. "What's wrong?

Anne let out a breath of relief, "It took me ages to wake you. I got scared, I thought you-"

Ashton cut her off, speaking in between hiccups. "Mum, I'm fine. You don't have to worry so much. What are you gonna do when I go to Uni?"

"That's not for another two years, almost. And I'm your mother, it's my job to worry." Anne said.

The golden-brown haired boy rolled his eyes before climbing out of bed and walking into his en-suite to take a shower before school.

_

After washing his body, he rinsed himself off and stepped out of the warm shower. He wrapped a towel around his waist and walked over to his closet, pulling out a pair of black skinny jeans, a shirt and a sweater to put over the top. He quickly straightened his hair like he usually did, and finished up getting ready before grabbing everything he needed for school. Putting on his black-rimmed glasses, he made his way down the stairs. Anne walked out of the kitchen, obviously hearing his presence and chucked him an apple, laughing when he didn't catch it.

"Harry and Lauren aren't going to school today, are you right to take the bus?" Ashton mentally groaned to himself. He hated the bus with a passion, but reluctantly nodded.

"Off you go then or you'll miss it," Anne pulled Ashton into a hug. After saying goodbye, he gave her one last smile before walking out the door.

Ashton made his way down to the bus stop at the end of the street, casually kicking rocks and munching on his apple. Soon enough, he reached the bus stop and not a moment later the bus was pulling up in front of him. Greeting the bus driver, it was then that he realized someone was sitting in his usual seat. Someone he didn't recognize.

Like an idiot, instead of taking that 5 seconds to find another seat, he stood there examining the boy. Blonde hair, fair skin and was staring out the window with ear buds in his ears looking like he was straight out of a movie. Ashton's thoughts were soon interrupted when the bus started back up suddenly, earning him to stumble forward and onto the seat in front of the blonde boy. He sunk down into his seat from embarrassment, pulling his earphones from his pocket and letting the beautiful lyrics fill his ears.