🧸five🧸

The sound of the door opening woke Jaemin from his dreamless sleep. He unwrapped himself from his blanket cocoon and saw Haneul fixing some things. She felt him staring at her and turned to face him.

"I'm sorry if I woke you." She apologized softly. The kids were sleeping around him which he never noticed. "I didn't know about your um relationship with milk. You could have just told me or eat something else."

"I didn't want to hurt your feelings. You worked hard to cook after all. A stomachache is nothing." Jaemin answered, getting up carefully. He had slept through the day yesterday and didn't even get to greet Taeyong.

"Your health is more important." Haneul scolded. She handed him a cup of tea and a pill. "Taeyong told me this helps with the stomachaches. You can rest after you take that."

Jaemin took the pill and drank some of the tea. The sweet aroma and refreshing taste was enough to calm his nerves. "I should keep my end of the schedule. I promised the kids we would play a lot today."

"Then I'll help you as an apology." Haneul mumbled. 

Jaemin rolled his eyes and didn't say anything else. He knew her guilt would eat her alive if he refused. He watched her fold clothes and arrange them in their respective cubbies.

"Would you like to help?" She asked, feeling his stare on her once more.

"I am. I'm silently cheering for you to finish." He answered. He raised his arm and lazily cheered for her. "Go Haneul. You can do it. Yay."

"You know, the kids want to play with us both at the same time. We should change one day's schedule for that."

"Up to you, princess." Jaemin yawned. He was fine with anything honestly. It would be a win for him since the kids are nicer to her.

Haneul raised a brow at the nickname. "Princess?"

"Or would you like Your Highness?" He teased. Haneul just rolled her eyes and finished up the last few shirts.

The kids began to wake up from their afternoon nap, all going to Haneul to give her hugs. Jisung had fallen asleep in her arms while giving her a hug, making the girl flustered.

"Ji, wake up." Haneul softly patted his arm, waking the boy from his sweet slumber. Jisung let out a whine and snuggled closer to Haneul. She looked at Jaemin who had Jeno sitting on his shoulders and Mark climbing his leg.

"All right kids, go drink some water and we'll play outside." He announced in a playful tone. It reminded Haneul of preschool teachers. The kids dispersed and ran into the kitchen.

Haneul looked out to the gloomy sky. She didn't like this kind of weather. "It's raining though."

"That's the point. Playing in the rain is more fun than you think." Jaemin said. "If you don't want to play then stay at the porch."

The two joined the excited children in the kitchen. Like what Jaemin said, she stayed dry at the porch while she watched them play tag. They ran around, running away from Jaemin who 'menacingly' chased them.

"The ugly monster is gonna eat us!" Renjun shouted, hiding behind a tree.

Mark had climbed the said tree with Jeno while Chenle and Jisung ran hand-in-hand. Jisung slipped, letting go of Chenle's hand.

"Run! Lele run!" Jisung cried rather dramatically. The slightly older boy looked over at him with glossy eyes and made a run for it.

"I will avenge you, Ji!" Chenle cried, running into the fence. He fell flat on his bottom, buffering for a couple of seconds before letting out a loud cry.

Renjun ran up to him, rubbing his forehead. He balled his hand into a fist and pretended to throw something away. "Ouchies go away!"

"That was stupid." Donghyuck sighed, shaking his head. He was hiding behind the pillar by the porch.

"As cute as Chenle is I have to agree." Haneul chuckled. She watched Jaemin lift Jisung high in the air and spin him around.

"The monster has caught his prey. Will there be anyone to save him?" Jaemin roared. He went to the other side of the yard and put Jisung on his shoulder.

The kids assembled and stood in a line. Mark grabbed his toy sword and ran towards Jaemin. He swung at him, hitting his shin.

"Quick! Get him!" The eldest child commanded. The others followed after him, biting, climbing, or hitting his legs.

"You'll never beat me!" Jaemin evilly laughed.

Haenul found herself smiling at how well he played with the children. She didn't want to admit it out loud but she thinks it was cute and boyfriend material.

"Hannah what the hell are you thinking? He's just an acquaintance." She scolded herself, trying to push the thought away. A drenched Mark ran up to her with determined eyes.

"Hannie quick! Help us save Ji." He grabbed her hand and tried his best to drag her into their battlefield.

"Mark, I don't want to play—"

"Oh no! The princess has come!" Jaemin cut off, still in character. He grinned and started to run away from the kids. "The touch of a princess is my weakness!"

"Quick noona! Save Ji!" Chenle begged, tugging on her hand. The kids looked at her expectantly and she decided to give in. She ran through the puddles, mud and water splashing all over. The kids followed after as they cornered Jaemin.

She snatched Jisung from Jaemin's shoulder and ran to the kids' base. She placed Jisung down and the kids were quick to reunite with him.

"Okay kids. Now Haneul is the monster." Jaemin said. "Now run!"

The kids dispersed, leaving a speechless Haneul behind. They all hid, except for Jaemin. She sighed and ran to him.

"Wait til I get my hands on you, Na Jaemin!" She shouted. She carefully ran across the yard as she chased after the boy. The kids giggled at them, enjoying their interaction crumbs.

Haneul slipped on the wet grass, nearly falling on her face. Jaemin was quick to act and caught her, his arm securing her waist and pulling their bodies close together. Jeno covered Jisung and Chenle's eyes, saying something about adult stuff.

Jaemin scanned her flushed face. Her eyes were wide as wet hair scattered across her forehead. Her mouth was slightly agape as it seemed she was lost for words.

"You're so adorable."

A simple phrase like that was enough to wipe the life out of her eyes and for the wide smile she had to fall.

"You're so adorable." He mockingly complimented. He and his friends found her pitiful figure in the rain. One of his friends threw and egg at her, followed by another.

She stood there, hands gripping onto the fabric of her school skirt. She trembled from the cold and anger. Hot tears of embarrassment warmed her cold face as she took the humiliation in silence.

"You know what she's missing?" He asked. He got up, hand behind his back as he walk towards her. One of his friends held an umbrella over his head, shielding him from the cold rain. "The sauce."

He emptied the bottle of fish sauce and vinegar over her head, dropping the bottles on her head. She felt the glass shards from the vinegar bottle graze her legs, making her whimper. He forced her to look up and smiled.

"Such a good girl."

"Haneul?"

Haneul snapped back into reality as she felt the biscuits she had for lunch coming up. Her hands go to cover her mouth as she runs back inside and into the bathroom.

Why did it have to happen now?

She was supposed to be having fun.

Why can't she live?