Memories

Mel's POV

"It's been a crazy year..." Kye murmured beside me.

"Yep..." I said, popping the 'p'. Prom was just about to end, prom king and queen currently being announced. I'd seen him walk out to the front of the school and found him sitting on the wall by the entrance. Slowly, I'd situated myself beside him on the ledge in silence, "Where's Raegan...?" Kye chuckled lightly.

"Things weren't..." He stopped suddenly, glancing over at me, "She wasn't you..." He admitted, staring down at the floor. There was a comfortable silence that hung in the air for a few minutes before I spoke.

"I'm sorry..." I began but the boy stopped me.

"No... don't apologise, it's not your fault..." He said hastily, looking away from me.

"Wait... just listen..." I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder, "Look at me, Kye. I'm not apologising because I think it's my fault. I'm apologising because... You have so much love to give and you never got the chance to do that with someone who could give that love back and I'm sorry for that... Don't let me hold you back from getting it because soon I'll be a memory, a dream..." I muttered, our gazes aligning as I did so.

"We're all stories in the end..." Kye murmured one of his favourite quotes from the TV show we used to watch together.

"Just make it a good one..." I finished and we both smiled at each other.

"Thank you, Melody Parker," He said, turning the corners of his mouth up slightly, "Thank you for showing me what love was and making me understand the power of forgiveness. Thank you for being brave and most of all, being yourself..." I smiled, wiping a tear from my eye as he said this. We both slipped off of the wall coincidingly, embracing each other in a hug. 

"Thank you Kye Underwood... thank you for forgiving me. And thank you for always being there for me..." I heard him laugh whilst my head was still buried in his shoulder and I laughed along with him. We parted slowly.

"I'm going to miss you, you know that?" He asked, aligning our gazes once again. I nodded slowly.

"Me too..." I was going to miss him more than everything. I was going to miss them all. The next part of my life was beginning and that was scary. But, when things are the scariest, that's when you have to be the bravest. I was about to leave my whole life behind and attend the school of my dreams, it was all I'd ever wanted and yet there was so much I was losing. As humans, we are always scared of change. I was scared of the change after I came out. I was scared that accepting my feelings for Thalia meant that everything was going to be different. But I guess... If you aren't scared then you aren't doing it right; You aren't living to the fullest. Otherwise, what is life if you constantly feel safe and comfortable? The constant sequence of sleep, eat, work? And what would be the point in that?

It's the small things that keep it interesting. Joking with friends, meeting people, doing things you've never done before. And of course, falling in love because that is the scariest thing- trusting someone so deeply, sharing your thoughts and feelings with them. You arm another person with so much information willingly and I think that's why it hurts so much to get your heartbroken. Because there's so much trust, especially in a relationship. And when that bond of trust is broken, it's like your world is crashing down on top of you and you are suffocating in the dust.

"Hey, guys!" Thalia called out to us from behind the school entrance, "You're missing out! Come on!" She beckoned us back into the gym. As we walked back in, I stopped to talk to her and explain the situation but she just placed a finger on my lips.

"It doesn't matter. I trust you..." She said without even thinking her words over. Instantly, I lean in to kiss her.

"I love you," I murmured as we parted. She grinned.

"I love you more..." She taunted, leaving me with my mouth hanging open.

"No way..." I said slowly and she just shrugged, turning and leaving me with the door wedged open on my foot. I just grinned, shutting the door and following her to the gym. Once again, there was an upbeat song playing and I spotted my girlfriend on the dance floor along with all of our friends. I smiled, running over to join them. We all danced, laughing and grinning at each other. It seemed that any other rivalry amongst students had just been thrown away tonight. People who barely talk to each other, dancing in harmony. All of us just swept away by the rhythm of the night. This was it. This was our last year. After this, we were no longer kids. The family that most of these kids had grown up with since kindergarten was gone and we were left to fend for ourselves.

***

As quick as it began, it was over. We drove back to my house, dropping everyone off on the way. However, to my gratification, Vici had allowed Thalia to stay at my house for tonight.

"What're doing?" The other girl said, stopping trailing kisses down my neck to look over my shoulder at my laptop.

"Planning," I said quickly, looking down at my perfectly laid out spreadsheet regarding my finance next year, during college. The other girl shut the lid of the laptop, pushing it away and sitting in my lap, "Babe... I've got to finish it..." I moaned but was silenced by the soft touch of our lips.

"Do it tomorrow..." Thalia murmured into my neck, laying down kisses as she did so. I wanted to protest but this was one of the first nights we'd spent together in a while so instead, I nestled further into her embrace. The girl raised her head to align our gazes and I watched her eyes intently. I watched each movement of colour, each twitch, the way they gazed adoringly into my own.

"I love you..." She said before leaning down to kiss me on the nose.

"I love you more..." I teased, getting her back for earlier. She frowned and I smirked back, lifting my knees from the bed, causing her to topple off the side. She hit the floor with a loud thump, glaring up at me. I just burst into a fit of laughter at her tousled hair. That's when a shout echoes around the house,

"Girl's, door open!"

A/N

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed. There are only two chapters left!