86

Castiel had placed Sam down onto his bed. Then he stepped back and stood next to Dean and Jessica.

"I can't fix him."

"What the hell do you mean you can't?" Dean asked.

"I mean there's nothing left to rebuild."

"Why not?"

"Because it crumbled." Castiel said. "The pieces got crushed to dust by whatever's happening inside his head right now."

Dean leaned his body against the wall. "So you're saying there's nothing? That he's gonna be like this until his candle blows out?"

"I'm sorry." Castiel sighed sadly. "This isn't a problem I can make disappear. And you know that."

As Castiel looked at Sam, his eyes slightly widened.

"But I may be able to shift it."

"Shift?" Dean questioned.

"Yeah, it would get Sam back on his feet." Castiel made his way towards Sam and sat on the edge of his bed. He looked up at Dean and Jessica.

"It's better this way. I'll be fine."

"Wait, Cas," Dean stepped forward. "What are you doing?"

Castiel ignored Dean and leaned over Sam.

"Now Sam, this may hurt. And if I can't tell you again... I'm sorry I ever did this to you." Castiel placed his hand onto Sams forehead and began his work.

Jessica watched as red glowing veins appeared on Castiel's arm. It sent shivers down her spine. But it also made her heart break into two. She realized she may never get to speak with him ever again.

"Sam?" Dean ran over to his brothers side as soon as Castiel had finished.

"Dean!" Sam took in a big gulp of air. He quickly sat up and looked at the man sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Cas? Cas is that you?"

Castiel's eyes widened in shock and everyone watched as he quickly got off the bed and slammed his back into a wall. He was terrified.

"Oh no." Jessica looked at her brother with tears in her eyes. She knew what he had done. Castiel had taken Lucifer from Sam's mind and placed it into his own.

Castiel had decided that, for all the wrongs he had done while playing god, he should punish himself. And he did just that.

~<•>~

Sam, Dean and Jessica walked outside. The sun was out but the clouds covered its light.

"We can't just leave him." Sam said.

"Well, we can't bring him with us." Dean replied. "Everything on the planet's out for us, okay? Word gets out, we can't protect him. Not really. This is safer."

All three had stopped by their car.

Dean continued. "Every demon who knows about Cas is dead."

Sam scoffed. "Not everyone. Look, Dean, this whole 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' thing feels kind of like a demon deal."

Dean rolled his eyes. "It's not a deal, it's..."

"It's what?" Sam asked.

"Mutually assured destruction."

Jessica shook her head. "This is insane."

"Look, guys, I get it. She's not our friend. We don't even have friends. All our friends are dead."

Jessica felt as if a weight had tugged on her heart. Dean was right. All their friends were dead.

Dean muttered something under his breath and got into his car. Everyone else followed.