Chapter 2

Last year

Last year

"So, what does this Paul guy do? Has he got a job?"

I rolled my eyes, looking at my dad's face on the screen of my laptop. "He graduated in June, Dad. It's not that easy."

"It's not, Sky, but if he's wasting his time... Besides, who are his parents? They support him financially, don't they? What does his father do? I don't remember you telling me."

"For God's sake, Luke!" My mom stood behind my father with her hands on her hips. "Our girl has finally found a boy she likes, what's with the third degree?"

"Okay." My dad raised his hands in surrender. "I just want to make sure she's not into some guy without prospects. That leads nowhere."

"Dad, Paul is as ambitious as they get. His father has a business, a factory in a town close to ours, and believe me, money isn't an issue in their family. I'm sure it isn't long before he finds a job."

I didn't get why it was so important. Paul was twenty-two; he had plenty of time to figure things out. He could've still been studying if he wanted to.

We spent the next ten minutes talking about things at home and my parents' jobs, and I was thankful the interrogation was over.

My dad adored me. I was his little girl, his only child. The problem that came with it was that nothing and no one was ever good enough for me.

That was how I ended up going to France to study business. The degrees were more expensive back home, and the only college I could afford to go to was far from the best one. Although my mom was a college professor, even she admitted I'd be better off studying abroad, expenses, and all.

For as long as I could remember, my parents had been preparing me for the kind of life they didn't get a chance to live, married while still in college with a baby in tow, juggling classes and part-time jobs. French lessons, extracurricular activities— everything available in our town was tried out on me.

And, although I loved French and was good at it, none of the other things my parents made me do truly made me passionate, except for photography and dances, the only two hobbies chosen by me, and something I'd always known I wouldn't be doing for a living if my parents had a say in it.

I'd always been afraid to disappoint them. I knew what they did for me was a big deal. Maybe that was the reason why I turned down boys back at home when my dad said he didn't like them for me. Things changed in France.

Paul and I met at a party two months ago. We started talking, and soon it became clear we had many things in common. We grew up in neighboring towns; our families sent us away to study.