Chapter 6 - Grasp The Moment

The reflection of my sleepless, red, bulging eyes had me grimacing in the bathroom mirror that morning. I was never a good sleeper. I prayed this wasn't the start of another episode of insomnia. It invaded every so often and took over my life. No amount of hot water and soapy bubbles could wash away my thoughts from the previous night. I teared up, staring blankly at the wall. If it wasn't for the water that had began to run cold and caused me to jump back, I would have probably stayed there forever. My self esteem had taken another hit, as well as my body.

I gathered my things ready for work and put on my uniform. Scott kept finding an excuse to come into the bedroom that morning as I was getting ready to check how much makeup I was applying. He tried to be subtle, but his motif was obvious. I kept it minimal 

On autopilot when I arrived at work, I put my bag aside, took off my coat, smoothed out my uniform and went to the front of house. I was late – half an hour to be precise - and Mr Pellicci had already drilled me. I put the blame on the Tube and the fact I had to take an emergency trip to the pharmacist to pick up some tablets. Said tablets were non-existent, but sure were needed. It was the first thing I asked Isabelle after our greeting.

"Sure, there's some in my bag in the back. Side pocket. The one with the zip." Isabelle had a look of concern about her, two channelling her attention from wiping around the coffee machines to my flustered manner as I ran a finger down the job list for today.

"Thanks," I replied, making a note to fetch them as soon as I got a moment.

"Rebecca...what happened?" she asked, narrowing her brows.

She was looking at my arm. Quickly I rolled my sleeve down. I was mostly good at covering these things but this morning I had been so rushed, I'd forgotten.

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Nothing? That looks like finger prints to me, and you look like you've been crying. A lot."

Our conversation was interrupted by the next customer approaching the counter.

"Good morning," I smile, "What can I get you sir?"

"Chai latte with soy. Thanks."

I take his order and as I turn to fetch a mug I see him – Alan. Same corner, looking straight at me.

He's back.

My insides jolt. It's as though his eyes had already settled on me before mine did his, like he was waiting for me to look across in his direction.

One eyebrow rose. Am I supposed to know what that means? Do I even want to know? You were supposed to be here yesterday and you never showed – not even a message. A part of me thinks stuff you, but gosh he is so handsome, my thoughts instantly disperse. He gives a subtle nod of the head. Oh god he's gesturing me over. All I can think about is how awful I must look when yesterday I was made up. Why couldn't this have happened then. It wasn't supposed to happen this way.

I hand the man at the counter his chai with a smile, and since there are no further customers, I grabbed a tray, looking busy and walked over to Alan.

He was wearing a black pea coat with a dark grey scarf. His hair shaggy yet perfect wispy across his forehead. Totally shaggable. 

He smiles with his eyes before his lips form into one. "Hello Rebecca."

"Hey." I smile cooly. I feel the sting in my eyes, allowing them to wonder away, again thinking how awful I must look.

"Are you ok?"

"As ok as ever," I reply, nonchalant. Would be better if this was happening yesterday and I looked half decent, or if you'd have sent a bloody message.