3

When you turned five, you'd had your quirk for a few months. 

The doctors didn't even scratch the surface about what it is you could do. 

This third nervous system wasn't a physical one like a network of nerves. 

It was like a network of atoms that flurried and spread within every single cell like its own organism. 

You remembered running around your backyard after the dragonflies and beetles in the summer bleeding into fall. It made you laugh whenever your mother would yell at you to come inside, but you asked for just a few more minutes in the sun. It seemed like no matter what, you could never run out of breath even if you ran for hours. 

This quirk had a mind of its own, you see. 

And no matter what, its primary purpose was to protect your body from harm. 

So as you ran and ran and ran it never let you run out breath. 

But, as you ran after the dragonflies and the beetles, inevitably, you caught one. And when you opened your hands to let the bug free again, it didn't fly. 

So, you looked down at the creature in your palms. As you did, you smile began to fade. 

Because the dragonfly was dead.

***
Present Day

Hero basic training started today. All Might was teaching. 

Everyone seemed super hyped about it, but to be honest, you weren't too excited. 

Also, there was costumes involved. 

Changing in the locker room was a new experience.

Essentially, your costume was just a black body suit made of breathing fibers. You liked the look, but even with its very protective nature and the fact that it covered you from head to toe, you couldn't help but feel a bit exposed. 

After all, when you can feel the entire contents of the air around you through your clothes, they don't feel a lot like clothes. You requested agility and conforming capabilities, but breathability was the most important component.

With the suit came a black mask to cover your nose and mouth. 

"Nice costume Y/n!" Momo complemented. Hers was more revealing than yours but she was really pretty in that too so you got distracted again. 

"Th-thank you. I like yours too." You responded anxiously. 

Of course, once you saw the boys in their costumes it was a different playing field. 

Kaminari's looked pretty cool. He matched your color scheme with his black jacket and little receiver near his ear. Kirishima looked ready for battle with his headgear. 

The two of them complimented you on yours the moment they saw you. 

Although, you chose not to notice when Mineta and Kaminari began whispering things as they looked at you and Yaoyorozu. 

Instead, you found the boy you'd been waiting to see all dressed up and put an arm around his shoulders once he walked out of the boy's changing room. 

His costume was, as expected, pretty plain with the exception of his entire left side being covered in some sort of ice sheet. 

"I think you took my calling you ice man too literally Shoto." You teased, his side glance of disapproval making you rub his hair playfully. "I'm kidding! You look great."