15.

Meera woke up at the crack of dawn, she could hear peacocks singing in her balcony and the mellow sound of rain pattering.
She opened her eyes and sat up, scrubbing her eyelids with her palms. It was too early even for Meera to have woken up.

Rains - Meera loved them, rains were magical, they naturally healed everything they touched.

She sprung out from her bed and rushed to open the door of her conjoint balcony to step out into the rain, she wasn't alone enjoying the rain, a beautiful peacock had spread his wings and was dancing to his hearts content.

Meera looked at it and laughed.
"Apko bhi baarish pasand hai ? Humey bhi." She said and giggled like a small girl. She walked towards the walled railing and peered down to the huge courtyard.

A couple of men were rushing to the patio and carried the silk cushions away from the rain. The sudden rain has caused commotion in the courtyard people running in and out getting their job done.

Meera was drenched in the rain, her clothes hung to her body like a second skin, but she loved it, the rain the feeling of water falling on her skin, she felt healed and pure.

Meera's eyes wandered at the tiny figures walking in the courtyard until her eyes stopped at a familiar figure crossing in haste.

"Kanika ?" Meera whispered to herself. What an idiot Meera thought, she wasn't feeling well yesterday and now she was walking in the courtyard in the rain.

"Kanika." Meera called out to her best friend but her voice was too soft to travel to her best friend's ear three floor down, plus the rain wasn't making it easy.

Meera called again, louder this time, but Kanika has entered the building of the harem by then.
The sun was up by this time, however hidden behind the clouds.

"Assalam Walekum Badesha." She heard Hania greet.

Badesha ? She turned around in a flash to see Haider leaning against the door frame of the balcony looking at her.

"Walekum Assalam." Haider looked at Hania and smiled at her.

Meera for a couple of seconds couldn't comprehend, until memories from the night before came back to her.

Haider had come to her room, he tried to force her, he held her in his arms and comforted her, he had tucked her to bed.

She took a step back and then another, trying to walk away from the memories.
She saw him take long steps toward her, he too was wet  from the rain. Meera backed up again but Haider's hand shot ahead to grab her and he pulled her forward towards him.

"No, please." Meera said in a panic stricken voice, she could feel his lips on her skin from yesterday.
"Please please don't." She whisper cried.

Haider looked back at Hania and saw her looking at the two confused.

"Would you be kind enough to get her some towels and warm blankets, she has been out in the rain for almost half an hour now." He said with a small smile, Hania nodded and rushed to the bathroom to follow his command.

Haider had his hand wrapped around her arm securely, firm enough to keep her in place but a with light touch to not harm her. He looked at her, the marks he had left behind yesterday were bruising angrily on her skin, her eyes were red and she was probably crying, her tears mixed with the falling rain, she bit down on her quivering lip to hold her emotions at bay.

"You would have fallen." He said looking behind her, she was just a couple of steps from the railing. He pushed the few wet strands of her hair away from her face and then gently pulled her inside her room.

Hania came out with a couple of white fluffy towels and stood behind Meera. Haider reached out for the towel, he did not miss seeing Meera flinch as he came closer to grab the towel.
He placed it on Meera's shoulder, wrapping her upper body in the warmth of the cloth.

"I'm sorry that I'm so unaware but I'm not familiar with your name." He said looking at Hania.

"Hania, your highness."

"Very well Hania, prepare a warm bath for the Queen, we don't want her falling sick now do we, and get her some warm liquids."

"Yes your majesty." She said and stood there rooted. She had heard a lot of tales about the king, sure people loved him but then there were tales of his cruelty and wrath, but here he was treating her like a small girl with so much patience and respect.

"Hania ?" Haider said breaking her line of thoughts.

"Yes ?"

"Go along now." He chortled and Hania rushed out, her cheeks red.

Meera saw the entire conversation take place, she stood there at an arms length from him, she saw him treat her help with such respect, but yesterday night he couldn't respect his own wife, he did things which had left scars on his psych and body.

"Wife?" The little angle on her left should taunted. "Since when have you started considering yourself as his wife Meera. He is an evil man, he hurt you, forced you to marry him, and don't forget you don't believe in his faith, so that nikkah means nothing, you are not bound to him, you are just his captive."

"Don't listen to her Meera." Said the angle on her right shoulder. "He is a good man, he realised he was wrong and held you when you wanted support, someone who realises his mistake is never a bad person Meera."

She was torn between the two opinions, she did not consider this marriage valid, she did not, not just because it wasn't conducted according to her beliefs but also because it was forced. She did not want to believe that Haider was a good man either, he had been nothing but a ruthless man since the first day she had laid her on him.

"..ra ? Meera ?" His voice jolted her out from her world.

"Huh?" She said confused looking at him.

"I.. I said I was leaving and you should change into something warmer." He said.

She looked at him, was this man crazy ? He no doubt was treating her better than he has ever done in the last 15 days of her knowing him but how could he be so casual after what he put her though yesterday night.

"Hmm." She hummed in response and turned around to leave the room.

"Meera ?" He said a little hesitant and she stopped midway, not turning around either, she did not want to see him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry for yesterday. It won't ever happen again I promise."

Meera wasn't sure if she had heard correctly, he had apologised, he regrets his actions ? It still didn't make things right but -
She turned around to face him but he wasn't there anymore.

AN: thank you so much for the love you've shown to the last chapters. I can't say it enough how much your support means to me.
Comment down below your favourite Urdu word and their meaning.
Mine is wasl /vasl which means union.
Lots of love xoxo