- 5 9 - WISE

CHRISTMAS PASSED IN A BLUR

CHRISTMAS PASSED IN A BLUR. Amatheia had written to Lorelei stating she was safer at Hogwarts than anywhere else, so that's where she stayed. Harry had informed Lorelei of the conversation he had overheard in Hogsmeade a month back, and Harry was completely distraught about it. Harry had begun to look at Lorelei as the older sibling he never had. Of course, he thought of the Weasleys that way as well, but there was something about Lorelei that he was unable to place why he trusted her so much.

Harry had received a Firebolt, the same broom he and Lorelei were gawking over at the start of term. McGonagall had taken it thanks to Hermione, but he was supposed to be getting it back soon. McGonagall thought it was filled with dark magic from Sirius Black.

Lorelei had informed Harry of her thoughts about the situation when Harry had asked about it, which Remus Lupin had overheard unknowingly to the pair. Another pair of ears were lurking on the opposite side listening as well.

"Listen, Harry," the pair was walking on the bridge that connected two parts of the castle. Harry was wrapped in an extra jacket as Lorelei had made him before they left to take a walk. It was at the end of the holidays. "Is there a possibility that Sirius could be innocent?"

Harry stopped abruptly and glanced at her wearily. "He killed my parents, Lor. No, I don't."

"Hear me out, dear Neptune," she groaned and pulled Harry to look out at the waters below them. They could see the Quidditch Pitch from here, too. She threw an arm around Harry as he leaned on her shoulder. "It's just, I heard from Professor Lupin that they were all best friends. James and Sirius were the closest. James made him your godfather! That's trust. Now, I don't know the whole story as I'm just as clueless as you--hello, I'm a fish and just joined the wizarding world a few years ago--but they didn't even give him a fair trial."

"They said he admitted it when asked," Harry muttered in disbelief that she really thought he was innocent.

"I don't think he was in the right headspace. He had just seen two of his best friend's death. I mean, they didn't even use Veritaserum, Harry. That's a potion to make the drinker tell the truth. Sometimes I wonder how big of idiots are allowed to run this wizarding world," she said letting out a puff of air. "I just hate the idea of someone who Lupin says was so close to James would kill him. It'd be like George killing me or Fred. Or Ron killing you. I can't see it."

"I guess I see your point, but from what I know and everyone knows, he killed them and a bunch of people in the street, including Peter Pettigrew."

"Pettigrew?" she mumbled thinking about the odd name she had seen on the Marauders Map a few days before they had given it to Harry.

Harry pushed away from Lorelei and frowned at her curious stare at the Quidditch Pitch. "I've seen that name on the map, you know. I think it's a bit busted," Harry said with a shrug.

"No, the map doesn't lie, Harry. I'll look into it, yeah? Just try to calm yourself and don't think of Sirius for too long. You'll grow grey hairs early," she teased and ruffled his hair.

"Thanks, Lor," Harry mumbled and surprised the girl with a hug. She smiled into his shoulder.

"Anytime," she replied.

"I'm going to find Ron. Hopefully, he hasn't murdered Hermione by now. Scabbers is missing. Ron thinks Crookshanks ate him. That cat has been trying to kill him all year," Harry said with a grim expression. He smiled once more before leaving the girl to her thoughts.

She called out to him making him turn quickly. "Tell Ronald I told him to calm down or he'll find a present in his bed later," she teased with a smirk thinking of the fireworks George had bought.

Harry saluted in a childish way before leaving.

Remus let himself be shown to Lorelei whose eyes widened. He didn't say anything as he came to stand next to her. The other pair of ears wanted to show himself as well and hug the dear girl with everything in him, but he stayed hidden to watch the exchange between his best friend and the bright witch.

"You're wise beyond your years, you know," Remus said with a small smile as he leaned over the rail. He looked dreadful, and Lorelei knew why.

"Rough full moon, Professor?" she said with a smirk.

Remus looked over at her with wide eyes. "H-How did you...H-How do you--what?"

"Snape's essay he tried to make us do. I went into a bit of depth looking into it. Why do you hide it?" she questioned still watching the Quidditch Pitch. She was hoping to beat Ravenclaw at the upcoming game.

Remus laughed and ducked his head for a second. "Once people find out the nature of my condition, I will be out of here before the hateful owls and mobs of witches and wizards come," he said. "It's not always safe to be around me during those times."

Remus seemed uncomfortable talking about his condition; though, he was grateful she didn't look at him any different. "So, Sirius is an Animagus? Unregistered?" she questioned after a while. The question she asked surprised him and the other lurking in the shadow.

"Very bright indeed," Remus started with a humorous chuckle. "James, Sirius, and Peter were Animagus to keep me company during our time at Hogwarts. James a stag, Sirius is that lovely stray you fed, and Peter was a rat."

"A rat, you say?" Lorelei was trying to place things together in her head. "Hmm," she said after a while.

Remus chuckled darkly. "I was one of the ones who pushed for Sirius not to have a trial. I couldn't fathom my three best friends dead. I couldn't. But you're correct. We're idiots for not using Veritaserum. Absolute idiots."

Lorelei glanced at her Professor finally. "You think he's innocent then? After all this time?"

"You mentioned seeing Pettigrew on our map. I need to take a look at it if you don't mind," he said.

Lorelei glanced back down. "Harry has it. You'll have to ask him for it," she paused. "Our? You mean--"

"Moony was me; fitting, isn't it?" he chuckled. "Padfoot was Sirius. Prongs was James. Wormtail was Pettigrew. Funny how you had it and now Harry. James would be proud."

The dog whined without meaning to in a somber tone. He was crying. Grieving. And the fact that Remus was beginning to believe his innocence was something else to cry over.

Remus's head jerked to the sound while Lorelei smiled at the black dog near them. Remus was about to call out for him, but Sirius was running away quickly. Remus wanted to chase after him, but Lorelei grabbed his arm. Sirius couldn't be found. Not until they could figure out if Pettigrew was truly alive or not.

If he was, Remus thought darkly, he wouldn't be for long.