10. THE PRICE OF LIFE

10 : THE PRICE OF LIFE

first person.
VALERIE

EVERYONE HAS PROBLEMS and a lot of the time, these problems are kept hidden. It's difficult to notice when someone is hurting, it's difficult to watch them feign innocence in front of you when you're aware that something is going wrong in their lives.

"I have something to do Valerie, I'll see you around," Ben utilises my name instead of his typical nickname. An unsteady smile appears on his face before he heads towards the elevator.

I hurry after him, draping my arms around his waist. He stays frozen, unsure of what to do. I know how it feels, it feels awful to be alone after something so personal has been discovered. Instead of being ashamed, he should be okay, because he's existing.

"Ignore him Ben, you'll always be someone else's main character and to me, to me you're perfect." I murmur, resting my head on his shoulder.

I could hear him sniffling. "You shouldn't be telling me this Valerie, I deserve to be treated like this. Once you hear about what I've done before, you'll leave me."

He talks about the past like it's a burden. It's frightening how something you've done in the past could still haunt you in the present.

"Carpe diem, you told me to keep living in the present and think little of the future. We're in the present, there's no leaving involved because we're friends. Our visuals are enough to rule the world."

Ben turns around, placing both hands on my shoulders.

"There is no future when there's a secret involved, I'll cherish our friendship until it ends."

He glimpses at me one more time before waving me goodbye.

There is no future when a secret is involved.

Am I the bad guy?

I'm going to destroy the future with the little secret between me and Silvia. The intention of selling Atlas' words and phrases just for a comfortable life seems so wrong but right. Liars live luxuriously, and all I want to be most in this world is to be at the top.

Success is earned earnestly but power is earned through lies.

And in a world where success and power coexist, I want to be powerful. So powerful that I'll be able to live with no regrets.

Instead of following after Ben, I walk towards the staircases leading towards the cafeteria. If I want to move forward in life, I'll have to continue to lie, lie and lie. Atlas is my focus, I shouldn't be here to make friends, I should be here to reach the top like I planned to.