Season 4: Episode 8

| April 19th | Friday Night |

~ Sam's POV ~

Another busy night at Crossroads had come and gone and my bartenders were eagerly cleaning up to leave. It felt nice to have a competent and well-working staff because it eliminated unnecessary anxiety. Especially since other areas of my life were becoming a bit more stressful.

I roll silverware while the bartenders stock and servers sweep. It was chill and quiet after a loud night, and although I was grateful, being alone with my thoughts wasn't helping the growing anxiety of tomorrow.

"You're quiet." Dane sits in front of me and starts helping. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I lie.

Then I suddenly remember Dane had just returned from Georgia after apparently attempting to see his sick mom.

"Hey, how did the visit go?" I ask. "With your mom?"

He sighs heavily as if I had resurfaced a memory he had been avoiding. I instantly regret bringing it up, but I wasn't the only one who had seemed off tonight. Dane also wasn't his usual self. I feel it has something to do with his dad interfering during him trying to see his mom.

"I don't know... As good as it could've been, I guess." He shrugs. "Dad threatened to call the cops, but my mom is literally on her death bed so... he gave in."

The pain on his face is tangible. I can almost feel it. There's this horrible sense of helplessness I feel, like a need to make him feel better. Was there anything I could really do for him?

"I'm sorry, Dane. I shouldn't have brought it up," I apologize.

"It's alright. I know your intentions are good."

"Did seeing her at least help?"

"Yeah, it did," he agrees. "She was excited to see me and learn that I have a son, but I didn't tell her about J.C. That's all I could get through before she started feeling tired and my dad made me leave."

The defeat on his face upset me but I knew Dane was a strong person. It was just a shame that he had to be. Suddenly, what I had stressed over all night seemed so trivial now. I decided to spin it into something he might enjoy hearing.

"So, I have my first house inspection tomorrow," I admit.

"For fostering?" he asks.

I just nod. "They're probably gonna rip us apart, but we've gotta start somewhere."

"I heard they can be brutally honest," he says. "But the first time is always the hardest."

"I just hope Megan doesn't take it too hard."

"Well, how do you feel about it?"

I continue to roll silverware in silence and try to figure out my feelings on the matter. There was definitely a lot of anxiety, but I think it was mostly stemming from Megan. I knew the process was long and I was prepared to take their advice, but there was a deeper feeling I had been avoiding.

"I just keep thinking ahead," I answer. "To when we actually get placed with a child and what that's gonna mean for us."

"Try not to think too far ahead. You'll just give yourself more worry than need be." Dane carefully stacks his rolled silverware into a pyramid. "It'll be fine. Me and J.C. are also thinking about getting certified."

"You're ready for another one already?" I joke.

"You know, I never thought I'd be kid person, but raising Andre..." He leans forward. "I don't know. It just kind of brings out these paternal feelings that I love. Plus, I think it's important to have siblings growing up."