E I G H T E E N

I silently cursed the gods that I agreed to go out with Eli and Elle tonight. Why do I do this to myself? I'm too nice for my own good.

The screeching of the hangers sliding against the metallic racks of my closet and the shuffling of fabrics is the only sound traveling through my room. I don't have Cooper to save me in the outfit department, so I'm forced to search for an outfit with no assistance. I end up deciding on some blue jeans and a white v-neck tank top with some lace decorating the v. I look in the mirror and am completely shocked at what I see staring back at me.

I don't look half bad! My hair is left naturally wavy, the different shades of brown in my hair are also made more apparent in the light. My hair is naturally this color, but I've been accused more than once of putting highlights in my hair. The sun naturally adds shades of lighter brown sporadically through my locks, making it look quite unique and different than your average brunette. My hair is probably my favorite thing about myself.

As I look at myself more and more in the mirror, I find more flaws in my appearance so I decide to put on some light make-up before the ice twins show up... I kind of like that nickname.

I put on a light brown smokey eye, mascara, and lip gloss and I'm ready to go. Looking at the clock, I can see that I have 20 minutes before they arrive to pick me up. I'm always ready early, and this time is no different. I pick up the book "The Catcher in the Rye" and begin rereading it. However, I can't read more than a couple of pages before my mind drifts to Grayson.

Sighing, I know that I won't be able to concentrate on this book without at least checking in on him. We texted this morning, but it was only to say hi. I had to get ready for class shortly after. After scrolling through our texts, I stop when I realize that I've never been the one to text first. It's always him wishing me a good morning, or wondering how my day has been. How thoughtless of me! He must think I'm so rude...

I open up a new message and type a simple text. He doesn't have to answer if he doesn't want to.

Me: Hey

I'm proud of myself. I'm slowly being more confident and not this shy, pathetic version of myself that I was when I originally met Grayson. He instantly texted back.

Grumpy: Hello, love. What are you up to?

Me: Nothing much, just getting ready to go out with some friends. I'm ready too early and I'm bored :/

The text bubbles pop up, showing that he's typing a response to me, but then they disappear. I wait a few more seconds until my phone buzzes. I screech in surprise and my phone flies out of my hand and onto the bed. I grab my chest, attempting to calm my racing heart. When I look at my phone, I realize that I have a FaceTime call from Grayson. Crap! Do I answer? Of course I should answer, the guy I'm crushing on is calling me!

I swipe to answer and hold the phone in front of me. I instantly smile when I see Grayson's face appear on my screen. He smiles as well. He looks to be outside somewhere. All I can see in the background is trees, trees, and more trees. He must be hiking or something. He also seems to have his shirt off, and thankfully I can only see from his shoulders up or else I would be a stuttering mess.

"I hate texting," he says, his voice partially cracking due to the connection. "My hands are too big and I can never..." Grayson stops talking as his eyes widen. Even from through the phone I can see his eyes darkening like they do when he looks at me sometimes. It's honestly one of my favorite things about him. I can't read his face very well, but his eyes tell a different story.

"Thea," he growls out through his grinded teeth and tight jaw. I'm lucky he looks so hot when he's grumpy, because every time I've seen him so far he's been grumpy for at least a little while.