Chapter 4: Change

Mondays, everybody hates 'em. But this particular Monday would be the best anyone had ever had. This particular Monday, would show everyone just how big the multiverse actually is.

Eighth hour had just started. For Nate, that's study hall with Mr. Decker, and Sam wanted a rematch.

"Alright Nate," Sam said, "I tweaked my deck and I'm ready to go again."

"Alright Sammy," Nate said, "but before we begin, our usual standings?"

"I'll put up my glint-horn buccaneer."

"Then I'll put up a thunderkin awakener."

"Excellent, shall we begin?"

"I'll even go first," Nate said as the two rivals prepared their decks, "I'll play an island, then I will use that island to summon an artificer's assistant." Nate put the card on the table like he has done so many times before, but this time, the creature came out of the card. A small bird about half an inch long, a fourth of an inch wide, and a third of an inch tall .

"WHAT?" everyone in the room said all at once. The bird that Nate just summoned was on top of the card, it hopped around a little but it never left the card's surface.

"What the hell kind of card did you just play?" Sam asked completely awestruck.

"Same kind I always do," Nate said, not able to take his eyes off the bird.

"Well, do something."

"Uh, I end my turn?" the bird didn't disappear but just kept hopping around on the card, "can you do something like this?"

"Maybe?"

"Play something."

"I play an island and end my turn." nothing happened.

"That's it?"

"Screw you Nate, I don't have any one drops in my deck. Just take your turn and see what happens."

"Alright fine. I play another island, then for two of any I put a millstone onto the field." when the millstone card hit the table, an actual millstone came out of the card. The ends of the artifact just touched the sides of the card width wise and it was about three inches tall.

"Holly crap." Sam said.

"I get to scry one because I played an artifact... I'll keep it."

"What happens if you tell the assistant to attack?" one of Nate's classmates asked.

"I... don't know."

"Send it at me."

"Are you sure?"

"I want to know what'll happen too."

"OK, I send my artificer's assistant to attack." Nate turned the card sideways and watched as the small bird took flight straight for Sam. Sam defensively put his arms up as it rammed it's beak right into him.

"You OK?"

"Yeah... I'm fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it didn't hurt at all."

"Huh, OK. I end my turn."

"I'll play a mountain and then for a blue and a red, I summon a lightning stormkin and end my turn." when the card hit the table, a lightning stormkin five and a half inches tall and one and a half inches wide came out of the card, it hopped up and hovered just above the card. "I guess I can do it too."

"My turn. I'll play an island, then for one of any I will put a pyxis of pandemonium on the field." a small pyxis about a fourth of an inch around and half an inch tall came out of the card. "I played an artifact so I get to scry one...I'll keep it. Then for two of any and tapping my millstone, you put the top two cards of your deck into your graveyard. I end my turn." Nate tapped the millstone's card, the millstone didn't turn with the card but the wheel made a single rotation.