Chapter 19

Protector

Wildflowers pick at her nose, tickling her. She shakes her head at the flowers, rubbing her nose. Realization dawned upon her that she was moving. She opens her (e/c) eyes and rises from her laid down position. She was sitting in the middle of a field, full of wildflowers. She looks up, a ring of fire glaring down at her.

(Y/n) looks down at her body, grasping it as she remembers crashing into the ground. She wore a flowy white skirt and a puff-sleeved crop top, showing off her shoulders and toned midriff. Eld's scrunchie was still wrapped around her right wrist. She had no shoes on, the weeds tickling at her feet. She stands up from the grass, scanning her surroundings.

That godforsaken hill was off in the distance. She continues looking around when she spots a small lake. She moves to the lake, kneeling down and bringing the cold water to her lips. When she was finished drinking the water, she gazes at herself in the lake's reflection.

Suddenly the lake shows her an image of Levi. He was sitting at his desk, gripping his hair tightly. She saw the bags under his blue eyes, making his eyes look sunken. She watches him read over some papers that she couldn't make out what they were about. 

"Levi!" (Y/n) screams, reaching into the lake to grasp onto him, but the image of him disappears. Her heart shatters as she takes her wet arm out of the lake. The lake then shows her a freckled girl, crying her eyes out in her room. Krista was sitting beside her, patting her back. They were both crying.

(Y/n) grinds her teeth, tears spilling out of her eyes. The lake was showing her the aftermath of her death in the mortal world. All her friends were saddened by what she had done. They were mourning her. She tries to reach out for them, but the images just vanish.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" (Y/n) cries out, tears dripping down her chin as she stares at the hill. She splashes the water, angrily walking towards the hill, "What the fuck do you want? You've stolen everything from me! I died because of this power!"

The hill watches her figure. A strong wind pushes her forwards towards the hill as if telling her to cross it. She shakes her head, bringing her hands to her ears screaming at the anguish she felt. She would never be able to see the people she loves again. All because she made a stupid decision.

She knew the results of using the last bit of her power. She knew that she wasn't going to get out of there alive, yet she still did it. She wasn't sure if it was because she was protecting her friends, or because she really wanted to die. She lets out another scream, crashing down onto her knees.

Tears and snot mix together as she grips the grass. She couldn't stop herself from crying. She couldn't stay calm. She had lost everything meaningful in her life. She did exactly what Miles told her never to do. She chokes on her sobs so she brings her hand up to her throat.

A spider lily sprouts from the ground and she looks at it. Another spider lily sprouts from the ground, and then another, and then a bunch more. Her eyes follow the spider lilies path that led towards the hill. She rubs away at the tears and snot, staining her white sleeves.

(Y/n) gets up from the ground, her arm painfully burning. She grabs onto her arm, trying to subdue the pain. She takes a step forward, the pain growing more as she walks towards the hill. She lets out a groan from the pain. She looks down at her arm, dark blood seeping through her arm. It was as if it was telling her not to go forward.

She gazes up at the hill, her mother was standing there. Her (e/c) eyes on (Y/n). She gives her daughter a soft smile before vanishing. The pain in her arm vanishes with her mother. (Y/n) stares in shock at her arm, the line was gone.