Chapter 11

Eleven
✴✴✴

Jay called me the next evening. He said he was waiting for me in front of the college with his crowd and he'd brought Margarita with him. I should be excited but I felt nothing close to that. Carli wasn't going out. Neither Vanessa. She'd decided to stay with Carli and after our conversation the night before, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out with Jay anymore. All I could think was that he's probably only trying to have sex with me. No more, no less. So, I stayed on my bed under-dressed.

"I'm not coming out tonight."

"What's up?"

"I just don't feel like today. Carli and Vanessa aren't coming out too. . ."

"I'm here though."

"I know but. . . I think I'll stay back tonight. I'm not really in the mood to go out with your crowd either."

"We don't have to be with them. We could go somewhere else."

"No. I. . . I really don't wanna come out tonight."

There was a long pause until he said, "Okay. Alright. Maybe another time then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I tossed the phone down on my bed, feeling a little frustrated at myself too.

"Was that Jay?" Vanessa looked up from her phone.

"Yeah."

"What did he say?"

"He asked me to come out. He's waiting outside."

"Aren't you going?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Cuz he could be a dick? I don't know."

She put her phone down, placed her feet on the floor, and said, "Lola, I know you're bothered by what Carli said yesterday. No doubt it came from a good place but fact is that even Carli doesn't know Jay that well. Most of the things she said are assumptions. I'm not exactly telling you to put your emotions at risk and fall in love with him. But what I mean is, if you wanna go out with him and have fun, you can do that. What happened between Carli and Grayson has nothing to do with you and Jay. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah. You're right."

"I know! So, do you wanna go out or not?"

"I actually wanted to."

"Okay. So, do you wanna go out or not?"

"I actually want to but I guess I'll stay. You're not coming out either."

"Lola, I could walk with you to the gate if that's the only problem you have."

My face split up to give her a wide smile. "You sure?"

"Absolutely! Just don't get laid if you are not completely sure and. . . yeah, try not to fall in love with him. He's such a charmer. God!"

I laughed. "Okay."

"Call him. Tell him you're coming out."

"Right."

I grabbed my phone and called Jay. He answered by the second ring.

"Hi, I'm. . . I'm coming out. I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay. I'll be waiting for you." I heard him smile through the phone.

I quickly slipped into my jeans, pulled on a light sweater, left my hair open the way Jay preferred. Vanessa watched me and laughed throughout as I put some make-up, smoothed down my hair. . . "You do like him, don't you?"