39 | Scars

A/N
Guess who's back from the shortest hiatus in history owo

Thank you all for your lovely ideas in the last chapter. I've tried my best to add in as many as I could, so I hope you enjoy it.

Also, if you haven't already, please check out ShriQuinn 's fantastic book called 'Writings of a Peppermint Boy.' They kindly offered up a cute character that will come into play from this chapter on.

Thank you all for reading :))

---

Todoroki could not let you know he was crumbling slowly. He tapped on his leg, attempting to distract himself, as his father's words echoed in his mind. He was still processing the scene of you and Bakugo fighting against each other. It just didn't make sense to him. But what troubled him the most now was that the Provisional Licensing Exam was looming over him.

"Sho, please. Hear me out," you said, reaching out for his hand.

Yet, Todoroki crossed his arms over his chest. While he looked away from you, to the corner of the large, concrete Gym Gamma, you spotted that there was something he was trying to hide.

The alarm blared a few times, signalling the end of Aoyama's and Tsu's turn against Iida and Ojiro. You smoothed your brand-new (f/c) capturing weapon you wore as a scarf, trying to pull yourself together. Todoroki's silence stung like hell. He had yet again put up the ice walls that you thought you had managed to bring down.

Even as you ambled towards Bakugo - your partner for today's hero training exercise - you longed to fix what had fallen to pieces. Maybe, that's why when you stood beside Bakugo, his jarring words reached you.

"Oi, (y/n), about earlier..." An apology from his part was overdue, but you knew well that that was too much to expect from the explosive boy. "You've never even seen me, but I don't fuckin' wanna mess with you two."

You tilted your head to the side, not understanding what he meant by 'seeing him.' Conflicted, you bit your lower lip. Bakugo wasn't exactly your friend. You had always associated him with the primary school bullies that had also driven you over the edge.

Bakugo had finally come to terms with the fact that you would never look at him the way you looked at Todoroki. In a wavering whisper, Bakugo expressed what had driven him to push you around for such a long time. This was the only way he had learnt to express his repressed feelings in his violent household. "The only thing I fuckin' want is for you to see me for who I am, you dumbass."

Bakugo's buff shoulders shrank due to another defeat since he joined U.A. He hated himself for that: failing and letting himself down again... All while you, and even Midoriya, seemed to smile so brightly and kept pushing past any hurdles you came across.