9. PROTECT HIM

| CHAPTER NINE |

PROTECT HIM.

HANGING OUT WITH THE MARAUDERS at Hogsmeade felt natural and in that moment, Cassiopeia realised just how much she missed the four boys. Sirius had bought her some Butterbeer - just like he promised - before the group made their way through each shop, specifically Zonko's Joke Shop. 

Cass forgot what it felt like to smile so much, her cheeks were practically split at the end of the day, but she didn't care, if anything she loved that feeling. The feeling of real, genuine happiness. Living in the Black household, happiness wasn't a common emotion, so whenever the chance for it cam along, Cassiopeia made sure to grab it and make the most of it.

The group of five strolled back to school, they had missed the last carriages but they didn't care, it meant that they could spend more time together, planning the perfect prank on Snape. Cassiopeia glanced over her shoulder as her brother, she watched as he walked in silence. At first she thought he was annoyed, but when she spotted the content smile across his face she realised something else seemed to bother him, and truthfully, something was bothering her too. 

So, the black haired girl slowed down her pace, letting Remus over take her as she lingered besides Sirius. For several minutes neither of the siblings said anything, until Cassiopeia finally grew the courage to ask him what's been on her mind for months, "What happened?"

"What do you mean?" Sirius questioned, looking at his sister with a puzzled expression across his face.

"With us," She clarified, using her hands to gesture between them, "What happened during the summer? Why did you just..stop talking to me?"

Sirius frowned when he noticed how small her voice sounded. She was always pretty confident, so seeing her looking so timid - almost scared to ask him that made his chest ache, "I was being a dick, Cass," Sirius breathed out, he stopped walking suddenly causing Cass to do the exact same, "I thought you didn't want to be seen with me anymore. I thought that they brainwashed you too; just like what they've done to Regulus. I thought you hated me."

"But why?" She asked, she had never shown any signs of being like either of their parents so she really didn't understand why Sirius thought all those things.

The grey eyed boy shrugged, "You didn't want to leave."

Cass sent him a saddened look, "You know I can't leave Regulus alone there," She told him. As much as she wanted to get away from Walburga and Orion Black, she couldn't bare to leave her younger brother to face the wrath of their parents alone, "I'm his big sister, I need to protect him."

"He wants to be like them though," Sirius scoffed, "Why are you always defending him?"

"Because I know him better than you do," Cass stated.

"He's my brother of course I know him well," Sirius' voice raised, causing James, Remus and Peter to finally turn around, looking confused as to why the two siblings were so far behind.

"If you think he wants to be like them, then you clearly don't, Sirius," Cassiopeia stated firmly, crossing her arms over her chest.

Before Sirius could reply, James was quick to rush over to them. His giddy emotions caught them off guard as he threw his arm around Cass' shoulder, "No need to bicker you two, okay? Let's not ruin a good day, yeah?" He didn't even let either of the siblings answer when he suddenly pulled Cassiopeia along with him, taking her away from Sirius before their disagreement would turn sour.

Cass briefly glanced over her shoulder, she watched as Sirius ran his hand through his hair, messing it up slightly before his eyes connected on hers. He sent Cassiopeia an apologetic look, to which she replied with a small smile and a nod before she let her eyes turn back to the front as she drowned out James' voice since the spectacled boy began to speak about his Lily-pad and their future - imaginary - wedding.