Chapter 12

Matthew's pov

I pour coffee into three cups and move them to the breakfast bar. Noah occupies one of the four stools, his head resting against the cool marble.

When I set the coffee in front of him he perks up and takes a long sip. I smile at him before turning away. Alex is standing in front of the stove in low ridding sweatpants making french toast.

I brush my hand along his back when I pass him on my way to the fridge. I grab butter and syrup and set them in front of Noah, I turn again and grab three plates.

When Alex is done cooking he turns the stove off and sets the plate piled with french toast in front of us.

The three of us eat our share and wrap the extra in plastic wrap for when Gabe wakes up. Noah and I tidy up the kitchen and pour coffee in travel mugs as Alex goes up stairs to shower for his first day.

I finish loading the dishwasher and hear footsteps coming down the stairs and towards the kitchen. I turn and see Gabe walk in wearing the basketball shorts I wore last night.

He walks up to me and wraps his arms around my waist. I return the hug and press a kiss against his temple.

"Alex made french toast it's on the counter." I say as he rests his head on my shoulder.

"Kay," He mumbles against my shoulder.

"What time did you fall asleep last night?" I ask softly.

"Sometime after four." I hum and rub his back softly. Gabe has always had trouble with insomnia caused by his clinical depression.

I look at the clock over Gabe's shoulder and see we have to leave in a few minutes. I cuddle with Gabe a little longer before instructing him to eat. I finish getting ready and after saying goodbye to Gabe and Alex, Noah and I leave.

"Gabe is picking Alex up after his classes right?" Noah asks as we drive down the street.

"Yep. Then their gonna go grocery shopping." A thought pops into my head. "Can you text him and tell him to get toilet paper? I don't think it's on the list." Noah pulls out his phone and leans against the door.

We leave the suburb we live in and the streets get busier the further we drive into the city. Soon we are stopped, waiting for traffic to move.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask after a few moments.

"Sure. What's up."

"What would you think if I took Eli out for lunch sometime this week?"

Noah gasps. "Like a date?"

"Well-"

"Oh my god! That's a great idea!" He cheers. I smile and focus on the road. "I know you said you would put an effort into getting to know him but it's been a few weeks and nothing happened. So I thought you changed your mind, but tada! You didn't. When are you gonna ask him?"

"The next time I see him. I was thinking of doing it Thursday morning since I don't work that day." I want to open another bakery so I plan on promoting one of my employees to manager so that someone can run 'The Sweet Spot' when I'm not there. Thursday Nate is supposed to manage the store the whole day so that I can make sure he can do it before I promote him and begin the process of opening another bakery.

"Well he's working the first shift today so you could swing by sometime during the day."

"Okay." I glance over at him and see him with a large grin on his face as he looks out the window.

I drop Noah off at 'The Watering Can' and head towards my bakery. Austin is in the back baking so I take the freshly made goods into the front of the store to begin filling the shelves. He's made a loafs of bread, dozens of different types of muffins along with croissants and bagels.