Chapter 38

"You opened that bottle yesterday, and it's half gone already," Reuben scolded.

Rex shrugged as he leaned back in his chair with his boots on the table. "You know me. I don't drink unless I'm alone or with somebody."

Reuben paced. That was all he'd done since his agency and bar went up in smoke. He had no idea if any hunters besides Rex were still alive, and he feared the worst. He paused. "We have to reach out to the rest of the guild."

"No," Rex said.

"But they might need our help."

Rex took another drink. "If anyone's still alive, they're likely on Cat's payroll by now." He tilted his head. "Hey, that makes me the sole employee of the Haft Agency. Can I get a raise?"

"Why would I—?"

Rex cut him off with a sharp wave of his hand. "You hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Cutter doors closing." Rex jumped to his feet and peeked out the front window. He snapped around. "We're about to have company. At least one hunter and four murcs."

Reuben's brow furrowed in confusion. "I don't understand. How'd they find us here? There's no paperwork. I've never told anyone about this place."

Rex paused. "Wait. How'd you come about this place?"

He shrugged. "It was my mom's hideout."

Rex scowled, then pulled on his helmet. "Cat knows all of your mom's hideouts, you idjit."

"Why would she know?" Reuben asked, but Rex ignored him.

The hunter grabbed the bottle of whiskey and began pouring it on the floor and walls. When he'd finished the bottle, he grabbed another and threw it against the door.

"What a waste of alcohol," Rex muttered as he motioned for Reuben to follow. Rex had his blaster out and led the way through the back entrance. Once outside, Reuben saw their attackers stalking toward the small domed house.

Rex pointed up.

Reuben frowned, confused. What? he mouthed.

Rex holstered his blaster, then bent and interlocked his fingers.

Oh. Reuben stepped onto Rex's cupped hands, and Rex flung him upward. Reuben caught himself before sliding off the roof, and dragged himself up. He reached out to Rex, but instead watched as Rex backed away and then sprinted at the wall. Reuben had no idea how he managed it, but Rex ran up the wall and onto the roof. Rex walked to a vent and pulled it out of its brackets. He then peered down and watched while Reuben crouched and spied on the murcs preparing to break down the door. The hunter stood behind them, his blaster raised.

There came the sound of the door crashing, and blaster fire filled the interior. Rex began firing down into the fray. After a couple of seconds, Reuben heard the whooshing sound of a fire coming alive. His eyes went wide when he heard the screams.

Rex leaned back. "Best bit of wisdom my old man gave me. He always said, 'Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'"

Reuben stared in shock. Rex clapped him on the back. "All right. Now, we go to my hiding place."