Chapter 14

Keefe's POV:

I couldn't move. I knew I was supposed to be doing something, but...

"Keefe, you wouldn't want me to lose, would you?" Sophie repeated, widening her eyes and pouting slightly. 

Crap. I could never resist her puppy eyes, and she knew it. "Fine, I give," I mumbled. 

She leaned closer. "What was that, I didn't quite hear you," she teased. 

I groaned. "I give, you win!"

She grinned and tagged me out. I heard a cheer from the trees.

"Alright, girl!" Marella strolled up to us and high-fived Sophie. 

Everybody else followed. "Dude, the tree was right there, how did we not win?" Dex complained.

Biana nudged him. "Never under-estimate Sophie's puppy eyes."

Wylie scoffed. "No way, Keefe is just whipped."

Sophie turned to him and took a deep breath, then did her puppy eyes. 

Wylie froze. "Dude, I can't look away," he said quietly. 

Fitz tried to shake his shoulders but got caught in Sophie's gaze. "Whoa, neither can I," he said. 

Sophie grinned and stopped. I smirked. "See?"

"It's like a special ability," Dex said. 

I gazed at Sophie. 

Dude, just tell her that you love her already, Fitz transmitted. 

I jumped. Seriously? You're not mad?

Nah, I'm over it. I like being friends with Sophie, but dating her just made everything awkward.

I grinned. Thanks, man.

Sophie's POV:

I was still laughing at Wylie's bewildered expression when Keefe came up to me. "Hey, can we talk?" he said under his breath. 

I raised my eyebrows but followed him. "Finally," I heard Biana say as Keefe lead me away. 

We stopped under a tree that looked like a weeping willow, but I couldn't be sure since there were multiple types of trees in the Lost Cities that were really similar.

He sat down and patted the spot next to him. I sat down beside him and asked, "What's up?"

He took a deep breath. "I've actually been meaning to talk to you for a long time," he started. 

Another deep breath. "Look, Foster, I really like you. Like, more than a friend. I have for a while."

I froze. Keefe liked me? 

He probably took my silence the wrong way, because he stood. "Yeah, that's what I thought." He started to walk away.

"Wait." It took me a few seconds to realize that the words had come out of my mouth. 

Keefe froze, then sat down beside me. 

I paused. "Keefe, you've been there for me the whole time, and I've been starting to realize how much that really means to me. I, um... I really like you too."

We both sat in silence for a split second, then a grin spread over his face. "Really?" he asked.

I lightly smacked his shoulder. "Of course, silly."

I was probably blushing like crazy then, but he hugged me. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

"U-um, so when do you want to, like, tell the others?" I said, tugging on a loose eyelash.

"Whenever you want, Foster. I'm not going to pressure you," he said sweetly.

Something in his gaze made me say, "How about now?"

His eyes lit up and he stood. "C'mon, Foster, can't keep them waiting."

I laughed and took his hand to pull myself up. We walked back to the group, holding hands.

Linh was the first to spot us, and she squealed. "Keefe, did you tell her?"

Beside me, Keefe nodded and grinned. 

Biana rolled her eyes. "Finally." Then she grinned and hugged me. "Congrats, girl!"

"Wait, so you all knew Keefe liked me?" I asked, startled. Wow, I am oblivious...

Everybody nodded. 

Marella nudged me. "Girl, you are really dense."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "I know, I know. No need to rub it in."

My gaze locked with Fitz's, and I braced for yelling. Instead, he just grinned. "About time, man!" he exclaimed, pounding Keefe on the back. 

Huh?