book 1 - chapter 9

Someone knocks on the door.

"I don't feel like talking right now, Kor." I croak.

I'm hugging my knees, but it's not doing much. My heart is beating so fast that I feel that it's going to explode. I hear ringing in my ears. It feels like I'm going to die.

"It's Mako."

My eyes widen. I immediately thought that it would be Korra. It's always Korra. "A-Are you alone?" I ask, as I don't really feel like his new girlfriend to see me like a complete train-wreck.

"Yeah, I'm alone. Can I come in?"

I'm still on the ground as I'm feeling dizzy. My head is reeling. I attempt to regain my composure, but I can't stop shaking. I breathe in deeply. "Yeah, come in."

I hear the door open, but I don't look up. I'm trying to stop my hands from shaking but I feel like there's an earthquake happening inside of me. I feel a set of hands placed on my back.

"Are you okay?" Mako asks, moving his thumb slightly, in a comforting manner. "That was rough, Chief Beifong went too far."

I nod. "She did."

"You're shaking." He notices. He sits on the ground and gently pulls me into his arms. "You're okay."

"I'm not." I defer.

He sighs. "And it's okay not be. You need to stop putting so much pressure on yourself."

I break away from his grip and stand up. "Stop putting so much pressure on myself?" I scoff then chuckle. "I'm a pathetic excuse for a granddaughter of a man who stopped an entire war. My best friend is the Avatar. Everywhere I turn people look at me to either be as great as my grandfather or to just be a sidepiece to Korra's greatness."

"Yes, but—"

I begin pacing. "And to top it all off I was attacked when I was twelve and years later I'm not over it. Why does this affect me so much? The men who attacked me and Beifong were right. I don't know why I even try. I'm just so done."

Mako immediately stands up and grabs my wrist, he turns me to face him. "Stop that right now." He commands, furrowing his eyebrows. "Throwing yourself a pity party? How's that going to prove Beifong and the people who attacked you wrong?"

"I don't know if they are wr—"

"I'm not done." He interrupts, looking intently at my eyes. He wipes the remaining tears from my face wih his free hand. "You don't see it yet, but you're just as great as Korra and as great as your grandad. The only person stopping yourself is you. And it's so frustrating to see."

I gently remove my wrist from his hand. "It's easier said than done."

"I agree." Mako says, offering me a small smile. "That's why we're not done. I'm helping you get over this fear. We'll get over this together, I promise."

He's looking deeply into my eyes and I feel a pit in my stomach. I realize how close he actually is. I take a step back. "Um, thanks, Mako. I-I should find Korra. Don't want her to do anything, um, you know, stupid."

I'm flustered. Why does he care so much? He literally gets nothing out of helping me. I shake my head and make my way out the door.

I'm met by a grand number of people. I scan the crowd but find no sign of my best friend. I begin to walk deeper into the concourse of people. Then, my eyes land on my Uncle and his family, along with Korra. I make my way over to them. Korra's face shows anger with a mix of fear. I make my way over to them.

"What happened?" I ask them. I face Korra. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Lun." She dismisses. "I just kind of, um..."