Chapter Eighty-Five

Songs for this chapter:
• Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur
• All Too Well - Taylor Swift

Chapter Eighty-Five:

Lexi's POV

"I seriously can't believe those two. Do they realise that everybody in the room can see them right now?" I ask Bryce, nodding towards where Jordan and Maria are shamelessly making out in the corner of the room, their hands all over each other's bodies.

Bryce chuckles, tilting his head to the side as he looks at them. "Probably not. They're drunk teenagers. I don't think they particularly care, sweetheart."

I sigh. "I guess we were sort of doing the same thing while we were dancing earlier, weren't we?"

Bryce chuckles again. "I suppose."

Bryce and I are curled up together in the corner of the room, sitting on two chairs that we pushed together to make a makeshift loveseat. Bryce has one of his arms around my waist and I have my legs draped over his thighs as we sit there, content to spend some time together even if we're not having an actual conversation.

After we danced to Photograph together, we danced for a few more songs before sneaking off to sit down where we could have some time to ourselves. It's actually been highly amusing to watch all of our friends, drunk out of their minds, giggle and stumble across the dance floor.

A lot of the wedding guests have begun to leave, and so it's really just Leo and Elena's family left at the reception. Jordan and Jasmine's families are still here too, and so are Charlie and my parents.

As if just thinking of him somehow summoned him, Charlie steps in front of Bryce and I. He eyes us in confusion, probably bewildered by the fact that we're practically cuddling right now as we simply sit and enjoy each other's company.

Eventually, Charlie's gaze lands on me. "Hey, Lex. We're going to head out now. The Martins and the Thompsons are leaving too, except Jasmine is coming home with us and Jordan is . . . I don't know what the fuck that dude is doing. Probably hoping to screw Bryce's cousin later."

Ah. Drunk Charlie. How wonderful.

"All right. Just give me a second. I'll come find you guys," I say to Charlie.

He nods at me, gives Bryce a quick wave, and then heads off in the direction that he came in, back towards the dance floor where Jasmine is waiting for him.

I watch as, as soon as he steps onto the dance floor, my mom stumbles towards him, giggling like a teenager. I can tell that she's drunk out of her mind by the giddy smile on her face as she grabs Charlie's arm and spins him around to face her.

"Isn't tonight just so wonderful, Charlie? I haven't been allowed to drink this much in a long time!" she exclaims before dissolving into another fit of giggles.

Dad appears behind her, placing a steadying hand on her shoulder as she begins to wobble in her heels. She lets go of Charlie's arm and spins around to face Dad with a somehow even wider grin on her face.

"John! Oh, you're so handsome. I love you so much! Will you come dance with me?" Mom asks excitedly, gripping both of Dad's shoulders to hold herself steady.

My dad rolls his eyes at my mom, and I can tell from the small, highly-amused smile on his face that he's entirely sober and finding great entertainment in watching his drunk wife stumble around the wedding reception.

"Hey, Kate. I love you too. I'll dance with you in a few minutes. Let's go get you a class of water first," Dad suggests, hooking one of his arms around my mom's waist.