Ch. 7: Take Me Just As I Am

"Some folks thing I'm a millionaire. But they don't really know all the bills, the burdens, and problems I bear. But only you alone, you're the one that given me the courage and strength to go on and on ... I don't have much to offer a sweet fine girl like you. But here's my heart, please take it. You see, I need your love if I'm gonna make it. Come on, take me. Oh darling, take me. Just as I am." - Solomon Burke

* * *

You were not stupid.

It did not take you long to figure other things out, with the revealing of Peter as Spider-Man, a lot of little things started to fall into place. Who else did you know with long, silvery blonde hair?

There was only one culprit.

MJ, Ned and Harley had been in the safe house for only a week and you were already missing them terribly. You'd not gone to trivia night, which had left your Friday night feeling open and vulnerable.

And, though you and Peter were teetering on that edge between friends and something more, you'd hardly seen him.

Granted, you hadn't had the most time for him anyway. The café was opening that Saturday, and you'd been so stressed about finishing everything by the deadline and making sure everything was all set, that you'd hardly had time to take time for yourself, let alone take time to be with someone else.

You were walking home from Stark Industries for the night, having stayed a bit later just to get a little more work done. With the weather warming up a bit, it was nice to have a bit of a warm breeze instead of a blistering cold one, but you were still anxious to get home and get to bed.

You were exhausted.

When your phone started to ring, you nearly dropped it. Your podcast cut out abruptly and you looked down to see that Peter was calling you. Not able to help the smile that was on your face, you brought your phone to your ear.

"Hey."

"I can see you."

You stopped walking, turning around and scoping out the tops of the buildings where you were sure Peter was crouched somewhere decked out in red and blue. You hummed, finally spotting him on a building across the street just a ways in front of you. He was squatting, just as you'd figured he would be.

"Hi there," you smiled, waving.

"Don't wave. Just keep walking and pretend you didn't see me," Peter told you softly, standing as you started to walk again.

"Oh are you just spying on me?" you asked, "I feel so honored."

"Just wanted to make sure you got home alright. I was in the area."

"Were you really?"

"... no."

"You know I'll have to get on my bus soon and you won't be able to follow me anyway," you commented, smiling as you watched Peter swing from one building to the next.

"Yeah I know. I just wanted to see and hear you for just a little bit ... selfishly."

You couldn't help but feel a warmth spread through your chest. You liked when Peter was selfish, because he could admit that he was being so. In all the time you'd known him, you'd come to realize he kept his emotions locked up tight. Everything he did was for a purpose and had a motive, not just because he wanted to.

So seeing him here now meant a lot.

"Why don't you come down here and I'll make that time worth your while?" you offered.