39

Tony's P.O.V.

"Are the two of them dating?" The doctor asked, scrunching up her nose.

"Yeah." I said with a frown, not liking the look on her face.

"Right." She said.

"Is that a problem?" I demanded.

"No, I just... he's a lot older than her. But it's none of my business." She said.

"You got that right." I snapped.

Bruce gave me a disapproving look but I just shrugged, I wasn't going to let her talk about them like that when they couldn't defend themselves.

"Bruce you need to sedate Clint too, we don't know if he's in a coma or not but just to be sure we need to make sure he can't feel what we are about to do." The doctor instructed and Bruce nodded.

He started doing the sameness thing to Clint that she had done to Abi and a few minutes later they both got into scrubs.

"Mr Stark I'm going to need you to leave, you can't be in here during the transplant." She said.

I nodded and walked out but stood outside the glass doors with the others. About ten minutes into the procedure, the elevator doors opened behind us but I didn't bother to turn around. I couldn't tear my eyes away from what was going on in the lab, nothing like this had ever happened in the building and I was worried. I jumped a little when I felt someone grab my hand, I turned my head for a few seconds and saw Pepper stood beside me.

"Hey." I whispered as I turned my gaze back to the four people in the lab.

"How's it going in there?" She asked.

"They just started and all is good so far, but operations like these take hours which gives a lot of time for something bad to happen." I said.

"Don't think like that, they're going to be fine. They're both fighters." She said as she squeezed my hand.

I closed my eyes as I let out a sigh, things like this always worried me, the tiniest slip up could be the thing that screws this whole thing up. We all stood in silence for ages and just watched what was going on in the lab, none of us wanted to tear our eyes away from the scene in front of us. I glanced down at my watch, they had been in there for 2 hours already and all seemed to be going well, they had nearly removed part of Abi's liver to give to Clint. Then both of their heart monitors flat lined and I felt as I felt my heart stopped too.

"I can't watch this." I said as I rushed into the elevator.

I stepped out and let out the sob I had been holding back, the thought of losing them both was too much. My eyes landed on the bar and I went over, pulling out a bottle of whiskey. I didn't bother to get a glass, I just drunk it straight from the bottle and within about half an hour I had finished half a bottle. Within the hour I'd finished a whole bottle of whiskey and opened another, I could barely see straight as I brought the bottle up to my lips, the liquid burning my throat as I gulped it down. When I tried to put it down on the bar, I misjudged the distance and the bottle fell, shattering as soon as it hit the floor.

"Shit." I mumbled.

I bent down to pick up the bigger pieces of glass and one sliced me straight across the palm of my hand. My blood and the whiskey mixed on the floor, making some awful dark brown mixture as I quickly ran over to the sink and ran my hand under the water. I couldn't see any bandages around so I tied a tea towel tightly around my hand, trying to stop the bleeding. I stumbled over to the couch and blacked out the second my head hit the soft fabric.