49

Abi's P.O.V.

About half an hour after arriving, Pepper had dragged Tony onto the dance floor and somehow Natasha had convinced Bruce to dance as well, leaving Steve and I at the table. Sam and Rhodey turned up not long after the others had gone to dance and they were deep in conversation with Steve, leaving me sat there silently feeling even more out of place than before.

"I'm going to grab a drink." I said to Steve.

"Okay." He said, quickly turning his attention back to Sam and Rhodey.

I walked over to the bar and took a seat on one of the stools, a few seconds later some guy came and took a seat next to me.

"Garrett Jeffries with CNN." He said, trying to shake my hand.

I looked down at his hand then back up at his face before he quickly retracted his hand and looked slightly uncomfortable.

"What do you want?" I asked impatiently.

"Well Miss, you've been in the news quite a lot, pictures of you with some of the Avengers, but what I'm interested in is what your role is with them?" He asked.

"I don't have a role." I said.

"Do you have anything to say about these photos?" He asked, quickly changing the subject.

He showed me pictures of Clint and I at the fair, walking round holding hands and one of us kissing, I was pregnant in the photos too.

"What does it have to do with you?" I snapped.

"Everyone wants to know who you are, if you're dating one of the Avengers and if they're the father to your child." He said.

"I don't want to answer any questions. I'm here to celebrate my friend's birthday, not give you your next story." I said.

"What happened to your baby, did you give birth?" He asked.

"I lost my baby, I miscarried, now piss off." I spat.

His eyes went wide and he quickly scrambled away just as the bartender came over to me.

"What can I get you?" He asked.

"The strongest thing you have." I said.

He nodded and poured me a drink, I finished it in seconds and he poured me another, after about five of them I climbed down from the bar and was about to stumble towards the table when someone walking in caught my eye. I looked over to see Clint walking in wearing a grey suit, my heart pounded in my chest, was it really him? I rushed over to Steve and shook his shoulder to get his attention before pointing over at Clint. Steve's eyes went wide before they narrowed and he stood up, stalking over to Clint, I quickly followed after him. Steve grabbed Clint and dragged him into one of the side rooms.

"What the hell are you doing?" Clint demanded.

"What the hell are YOU doing? You disappeared for two weeks then just turn up here as if nothing has happened. Fury gave us so much crap about you disappearing, he's still pissed at us. If I were you, I'd avoid Tony and Nat, they both want your head, and right now so do I." Steve said angrily.

"Steve, you go back out there, don't tell the others he's here, I'll deal with it." I said.

"After everything you still defend and protect him?" Steve said, confused.

"I can't help it." I said with a shrug.

Reluctantly, Steve walked out, leaving Clint and I alone.

"Thanks." He said, looking down at the ground.

"Don't thank me yet, there's still time for the others to figure out you're here. They're pissed Clint, seriously pissed, you just disappeared." I started.