Dueling

Near the end of January, Hari was walking across the entrance hall when they saw a small knot of people gathered around the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas beckoned her over, looking excited.

"They're starting a Dueling Club!" said Seamus. "First meeting tonight! I wouldn't mind dueling lessons; they might come in handy one of these days ......"

Hari decided to go watch, so at eight o'clock that evening she hurried to the Great Hall. The long dining tables had vanished and a golden stage had appeared in the middle, as usual it was lit by thousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited.
She hoped McGonagall and Snape would be teaching, they were apparently both excellent duelers.  But to her annoyance, Gilderoy Lockhart was walking onto the stage, resplendent in robes of deep plum. Nevertheless, he was accompanied by Snape, wearing his usual black, so least one good teacher was there.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions - for full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, flashing a wide smile. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry - you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Snape's upper lip was curling. Hari wondered why Lockhart was still smiling; if Snape had been looking at anyone else like that they'd have been running as fast as they could in the opposite direction.

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands and cloak, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.

"As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the crowd. "On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

Hari hopped Snape would finish Lockheart off, show him for the fool he was.

"One - two - three -"
Both of them swung their wands above their heads and pointed them at their opponent; There was a dazzling flash of scarlet light and Lockhart was blasted off his feet: He flew backward off the stage, smashed into the wall, and slid down it to sprawl on the floor.

Sadly, Lockhart was got unsteadily to his feet. His hat had fallen off and his wavy hair stood on end.

"Well, there you have it!" he said, tottering back onto the platform. "That was a Disarming Charm - as you see, I've lost my wand - ah, thank you, Miss Brown - yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy - however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see . . ."

Definatly.... Hari thought.... Snape was looking murderous. Possibly Lockhart had noticed, because he said, "Let's have a demonstration pair. How about Miss Potter, and Mr Longbottom?"

"Longbottom will send Potter home in a match box.... how about Malfoy?"

Draco strutted onto the platform, smirking. Hari felt herself being pushed onto the platform. She didn't want to demonstrate, but it seemed she had no choice.

"Face your partners!" called Lockhart, "And bow!"

Hari and Draco bowed, but kept eye contact.