Part One: Chapter 1

I stood on the side of the road, in the rain, holding my brown shoulder bag over my head. Cars zoomed by, ignoring Theo as he tried to wave them down.

"Hey!" He yells at the back of a car "That was very RUDE!" he says with frustration.

"I'm cold." Julia whines. "Can we please just give up for the night and stay in that little motel down the street?"

Theo snaps his head toward us like we just suggested to sleep here on the road for the night. "Absolutely not! I would not be caught dead in one of those things. It will be all over the news."

"Who cares!" Julia snaps "I am about five seconds away from getting hypothermia! And prom is next week!"

"Maybe if you would wear more clothes, you wouldn't be as cold." I shoot back without realizing. I was cold, wet, and cranky. Can you blame me?

"Shut up, Teagan." Julia glares at me. "You are just as cold as the rest of us."

I see lights in the distance and Theo starts his screaming and waving again. "HEY!" His voice cracks a little from yelling so much, but he continues to scream. As the car gets closer I hold my breath. Maybe this one will stop for us and we can go home-

A yellow Lamborghini passes right by us going faster than the speed limit would approve of.

"Dammit!" Theo yells with frustration and throws his bag to the ground.

"Careful! That is expensive equipment!" Julia shrieks.

That's when they started to argue and I stood off to the side, looking for any passing cars. The road was pitch black with no signs of any cars coming our way.

You're probably wondering how we got here. Well, I'm wondering the same thing. It's funny to think that if I didn't go to that fundraiser and I hadn't brought my ex best friend along, things would be different. I would probably be at home, studying for my calculous test tomorrow. Or maybe, I would be out shopping for a dress for prom.

Or just maybe I would have a date.

But, alas, here I am. Out in the pouring rain, trying to keep the contents in my bag dry. You see, this is a classic love story- But not mine. I don't have a classic love story, because honestly? I don't really want one. My ex best friend (she who shall not be named) is trying to live out hers and I am trying to ruin it. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. I am the antagonist of this story, folks. Well, me, Julia and Theo are the antagonists. Theo, the twenty-two year old filthy rich man-child, is the leader of this operation. All he wants is money and power and the only way to accomplish that is to destroy his older brother. How am I involved?

His older brother, twenty five years old may I add, is dating my ex best friend.

****

One month ago. . .

"Teagan honey," My mother enters my room while putting on her earrings. "We have to go in ten minutes and you have not even finished your hair."

I just zipped myself up into my long black and gold dress and my mother is having a panic attack. "Mom, relax, I'm almost ready."

She glares at me. "Please tell me you are wearing your hair in a braid,"

I scrunch up my nose. "Uh, no."

She gives me one of those looks that says I really don't have a say. "Uh, yes. Don't be wise. This is a very important event for your father. At least try and look nice."

I give her a fake smile "Thanks mom!"

She shakes her head and leaves the room.

I did end up putting the French braid in my dark brown hair and I also did end up being ready on time.

"Let's go let's go!" My mother yells as my dad slips on his coat. He then chuckles, "Shannon, relax. We don't want to be the first ones there either."

My mom grabs my long coat and rests it on my shoulders. "We also don't want to be late. There is no such thing as being fashionably late, Stephen."

My dad just laughs and walks out the door, me and my mother following behind him.

We were going to some charity event the C.E.O of Bartholomew Hotels was hosting and only a selected few from their offices were invited. Hence, my dad. The C.E.O happens to be a twenty-five year old rich kid who inherited the position after his father died last year. Yes, I called him a kid. Compared to my dad, the C.E.O was a kid and I felt my dad deserved that position more than someone who didn't work for it at all.

We get into our old Subaru and my dad struggles to turn on the heat. "Sorry ladies, we are going to have to get a new car soon."

My mom groans. "I cannot believe we are showing up to this event in this piece of crap."

"Hey!" My dad argues. "There are a lot of wonderful memories in this vehicle." He winks at my mom and she blushes.

"Ew! You guys! Your child is in the back of this very memory packed vehicle." I say and they both laugh at me.

It wasn't a very long drive to the event, and it also wasn't a surprise it was being held at the C.E.O's house. His house was more of a palace to me, but whatever he wanted to call it.

My dad turns around in his seat. "Be on your best behavior, Teagan. I think Erin is going to be here, so you two stay out of trouble."

That instantly lit up my mood. I almost forgot Erin's dad also worked for the same company as mine and that she will in fact be here. It's less intimidating when your best friend always knows what to say and do.

We step out of the car and into the cold air. This was going to be an interesting night.

***

Little did I know this is where it all started.