31

Bucky Barnes

"Can someone get Vision off me? I'm kind of taking on a lot right now!"

I leave Sam's call for help for someone else to take care of, my hands particularly full right now. I continue fighting off Prince T'Challa, who hasn't gone to fight another person yet. I understand why, though. He does believe I killed his father.

"I got it," Dawn calls through the comm, "I'm gonna need him distracted for a second, though. Otherwise he'll phase away"

"I didn't kill your father" I grit out, dodging another punch and throwing one of my own. He stops my fist with his arm.

"Then why did you run?" He fires back. I don't have time to explain myself when he grabs me and tossed me into a nearby stack of crates.

My eyes widen when his claws slice near my face, but a sparkling glove of red energy stop them and tosses him away from me. I cast my gaze over to see Wanda and give her a thankful nod. She nods back before placing a hand to her comm.

"I'm on it" she calls, responding to Dawn. I take a moment to breathe, laying my head back against the crates.

There has to be some way I can convince the prince that I wasn't the one responsible for the Vienna bombing. Then again, I still have to find a way to convince the entire world that it wasn't me. If we don't get to Siberia in time to stop that insane doctor who framed me, I might never be able to.

I huff, shoving myself to my feet and raking my eyes across the area of battling Avengers. Just as I'm about to launch myself into another fight, my eyes catch on Dawn. I furrow my brows as she clings to Vision high in the air, her venom pooled around him. I feel my heart stutter when he phases.

And I watch in terror as she free falls.

I don't waste a single second to think, but begin sprinting faster than my legs have ever taken me. Sam doesn't see her falling, so he won't know to grab her. My eyes follow her body dropping through the air, my feet pounding into the pavement to get me under her in time. I know that an unbroken fall from that height will do more than debilitate her. It might kill her.

"Bucky," Steve warns. I clench my jaw to stem my rising panic. My mind doesn't want to comprehend what will happen if I don't make it  to her in time.

I have to.

"I see her!" I call back, watching her near the ground.

Time seems to slow as I move just a little bit faster. Once I'm underneath her I jump, knowing rolling will best help take the power from her fall. As I do, I reach out with my metal arm, my fingers barely grabbing on to her wrist. Once I have a hold, I tug her close to my chest,

And catch her.

•••••

Dawn Beckett

"I'm starting to think you like falling"

I snap my eyes open, the panic flooding from my body once I realize that I'm safely on the ground.

Well, more like safely on Bucky.

Relief rushes through me as the familiar blue eyes of James Buchanan Barnes gleam up at me with a hint of teasing. I realize quickly that he must've caught me and broken my fall. His arms are still deathly tight around my waist and I can feel his heart pounding beneath me. I let out a shaky laugh and drop my head to rest on his chest out of pure exhaustion. The absence of adrenaline tires me quickly.

"I'm actually mildly afraid of heights" I respond, feeling his chest rumble with laughter.

"Have I mentioned that you're absolutely insane?"