- 6 5 - FATHER

LORELEI STARED AT HER MOTHER WITH THE STERNEST EXPRESSION SHE COULD MUSTER

LORELEI STARED AT HER MOTHER WITH THE STERNEST EXPRESSION SHE COULD MUSTER. Brizo sat on her shoulder glaring at the older mermaid as well. There was no getting out of giving her answers. She was about fed up with the secrets, and she'll be damned if she let her mother keep her father from her any longer, especially knowing Sirius Black is her uncle.

"Well, that seems like an interesting year you've had...ha," Amatheia chuckled nervously.

"Mum, please," Lorelei's glare faltered as the now sixteen-year-old looked younger than that. Her eyes were pleading at her mother. She just wanted to know.

"Yes, Sirius is your uncle," Amatheia started with a long sigh. She floated into a seated position and beckoned Lorelei closer. Lorelei was hesitant at first because she wanted to know everything. She was sixteen. She was ready for the truth.

"He was around for the first three years. He took me and you to his flat often, and he was visiting the Lovegoods as often as he could if we couldn't go there. Always with James, Lily, and Remus. When your father disappeared and I had found Pandora, she told me of the Black family, and how terrible they were. The exceptions were Sirius and Andromeda. Andromeda visited as often as she could, but her Muggleborn husband, Edward but they called him Ted, was being hunted. They had no choice but to go in hiding as soon as possible. It wasn't bad because he came around--Sirius.

"I thought Sirius was the next best person to be a father figure if his brother wouldn't do it. Sirius was all too eager, you see. He was so wonderful with you, and I had wished I had fallen in love with him instead. Sometimes, I think I did--do--love Sirius, but I still think of him so I know it isn't in that way. Sirius has always been a brotherly figure to me," she paused and smiled thinking of the ragged man Lorelei had the pleasure of meeting. "Your father was a coward for leaving me. He knew I had you because Sirius told him, but he never came back. Sirius was just as heartbroken as I was. Yes, Sirius was so wonderful." Amatheia now had tears on her face in the water, which Lorelei had to pause and wonder how that was possible.

"You had three father figures, really. James and Remus spoiled you just as much as Sirius did. Lily was in love with you, and she wanted her own. When James and Lily had Harry, you both were the best of friends. You always tried to take care of him. When they went into hiding and the prophecy was formed about the Dark Lord, I never saw them again. Remus visited more often than Sirius, and he pestered me about the spy in the Order. He thought it was Sirius, but I couldn't believe the man that treated you as his own would do such a thing. He wasn't his brother.

"Then, suddenly, no one visited for weeks. Pandora had said the Dark Lord was defeated. Harry had defeated him as a mere infant. I was ecstatic because I thought Sirius would be around more, and even the other silly wizards he called his friends. Remus came in crying and drunk. He explained what he could before passing out of pure exhaustion. I couldn't believe a man I had trusted, just like his damn brother, had gone and done those terrible things."

Lorelei frowned. "Father did terrible things?"

"Regulus Black was anything but terrible, but he was a coward before it all. He followed the Dark Lord blindly. He did those terrible things because he went and got himself in them without realizing there was no way out. He chose the wrong side, Lorelei. Remus said he died trying to leave, but sometimes, I have trouble thinking he would leave. He was determined to make the Dark Lord happy," she muttered. "Many nights he would wish to leave for me, but he knew he would be too much of a coward to do so."

"Regulus Black," Lorelei whispered. She was part of the Black family she had heard the twins speak about. She smiled sadly, "He's your favorite star."

"Indeed. Now, I never told you any of this because I don't want you to look at your father in that light. He loved me, in his own way, and Sirius said he loved you. I don't want you to think you have to love him, in no way is that fair, but try not to think too terribly of him."

Lorelei scoffed. Her father was a coward, then. She didn't think of Regulus Black as her father. After hearing that story, it made her connection with Remus stronger. Sirius was more of a father than Regulus. Hell, it made James more of a father to her now, and he wasn't even there. Lorelei smiled thinking about the sibling connection she felt with Harry. It was because they should have grown up together. Sirius would have taken care of Amatheia, and James and Lily would have brought Harry over. Lorelei sniggered at the thought. But that wasn't how life turned out.

"Sirius is innocent," Lorelei muttered.

"I've heard. Albus came to speak to me," Amatheia said. "Sirius wants to talk to me when it's safe." A small smile appeared on her face. "Remus is your godfather, you know. Sirius is your uncle, and he wanted another person available if something were to happen to either of us. Remus was chosen by Sirius himself. I had no doubt Remus would be around if I needed him."

Lorelei smiled and saw the sun rising from the waters. She saw Brizo had fallen asleep on her shoulder. Amatheia sighed. "You must be going, then."

"They want to leave soon for the Quidditch World Cup. I don't have to go--"

"Yes, you do. You deserve a bit of relaxation after all of this nonsense I've kept from you. I apologize for doing so," Amatheia said with a frown.

Lorelei smiled and hugged her mother. She felt Amatheia shake as sobs wracked through her body. "I'll ask Remus to come to keep you company?"

"That would be lovely," Amatheai croaked out. Telling that story had reopened wounds she didn't want to reopen, but Lorelei deserved to know.

Lorelei swam to the surface staring at the stars disappearing from the sky. She watched as Regulus disappeared leaving Sirius alone. Sirius twinkled brightly before disappearing as well. Knowing she had to get out before she was stuck, she pushed herself onto the grass. Drying off quickly and dressing herself, she then put Brizo in her pocket before heading to the Burrow where the twins were waiting at the kitchen table.

When they saw the tears leaving her eyes that she didn't even know where there, they both rushed over to hug her.

-
A/N

This and the next chapter are one of my favs!