𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

FRUSTRATED GRUMBLES ECHO around the empty field as Alfie holds Evelyn's hand tightly in his own as his walking-stick digs into the soft grass, causing him to slightly roll his eyes.

"My fucking heels are ruined," Evelyn shakes her head, stopping in her steps to bend down and unbuckle the straps around her ankles – removing her shoes so she was walking bare foot.

Alfie watches with a bemused expression as Evelyn lets out a sharp hiss when her bare feet meet the cold blades of grass that was still wet from the downpour of rain in Birmingham the previous night. The woman shuts her eyes for a moment as she breathes in the crisp air, getting used to the feeling beneath the soles of her feet.

"Give 'em here," Alfie chuckles, taking her heels from her hands before sending her a pointed look. "If yer' get sick, don't come cryin' to me."

"I used to do this all the time as a child – never got sick once."

Evelyn's defence is weak, but she lets out a cheerful squeal when Alfie goes to swat her butt with his walking stick. Her hands lift up the hem of her skirt before she breaks into a grin brighter than the sun as she begins twirling in circles.

"I forget sometimes, yeah, that yer' a Gypsy princess," Alfie calls out behind her as they continue walking through the field – Evelyn stopping every few seconds to pick a few small daises, making a scrappy bouquet. 

"I'm not a princess," the girl practically snorts as they reach stone wall that reaches Evelyn's hip bone.

Both her hands grip the edge as she goes to pull herself up – only stopping when a pair of bulky arms wrap around her, effectively pulling her back. Turning her head, Evelyn sheepishly smiles when Alfie raises a pointed brow towards her, his thumbs rubbing circles on her baby bump.

"You've got to be more careful," he lightly scolds her, pressing a kiss to the tip of her frozen nose. "I'm not havin' yer' fall over the wall like that nursery rhyme."

Evelyn can't help the snickers that pass her lips before she falls into a heap of loud giggles – the enlivening sound filling the fields.

"You mean Humpty Dumpty?" Evelyn questions her husband, her hand running through his beard as he fondly smiles down at her. "Well, how do you propose that I get over the wall?"

Alfie only quirks the corner of his mouth, before he twirls Evelyn around pointing at the gate in the middle of the wall that was wide open. Evelyn can't help the embarrassed blush that makes her already rosy cheeks even brighter – burying her head in Alfie's chest as it rumbles with his laughter.

"You really are a wild Gypsy woman, aren't yer?" He presses another kiss to Evelyn's forehead, before grabbing her hand again – pulling them both past the gates.

Evelyn gives him another stunning smile as she shrugs, "I get it from my mother."

The pair walk in relative silence until they reach a meadow that was surrounded in trees that had lost all their blossoms in with the winter season – the white and pink petals covering the grass. Evelyn lightly sighed, before she began counting the trees until she landed on the seventh trunk – scanning the bark to see the carved shape of a heart.

Bending down, she began brushing away the fallen leaves and flowers, using her shawl to remove the thin layer of dirt that rested upon the cement plaque. Her fingers traced the lettering, Mary Strong – Evelyn let out a shaky breath before lowly speaking.

"Hello mum," she presses a kiss to the tips of her fingers before pressing it to the stone. "I have someone who wants to meet you."

Looking over her shoulder, Evelyn notices the way Alfie stood a few feet away; letting her have a moment to herself. Giving him a nod, Evelyn reaches for his hand as Alfie slowly tries to lowers himself to the ground beside her – a groan emitting from his throat at the way all his muscles ache from the movement; begging him to stay upright.