Chapter Five: Treehouse

There was another thing I had to get used to. When Pat and I started dating, our friend groups sort of merged. His were rather big, with most of them belonging to the soccer team. Of course, I never had to think what it was like to just be me, Sasha, and Mia again because I time traveled the day right after we broke up.

"You girls can join us for lunch," Pat offered, that perky grin slapped on his face and as usual, Leon had his permanent scowl next him.

I swear, I never found out how these two were best friends. They were different as night and day, the only thing they had in common was the sport they played.

At this point, I saw no reason to reject them so I simply glanced towards my two best friends. We had a complete conversation with just the two seconds our eyes met.

"Sure," I replied, "We would love that."

The one advantage I had was that I basically already knew all of them so it was easy to fall into a conversation. I knew what topics we had in common, some subjects that were taboo to talk about with them, and because there was no awkward 'getting to know' period, we managed to blend in.

It was like I never went back time.

"I'm going to grab a drink, anybody wants something?" Pat stood up, looking around the table. A few people said their orders and then before he left, he looked at me expectantly, "Avery?"

Sasha and Mia, who were seated right next to me, grinned almost maniacally at this. During this point, only few of Pat's friend knew about his interest in me so there weren't much teasing except for some knowing glances.

"Uh, any fruit juice?" I managed to say and he nodded. He pushed back his chair, causing him to accidentally knock Leon's halfway opened bag. The said owner muttered a curse under his breath and bent down to pick up the few things that spilled.

"Sorry, L," Pat immediately apologized, crouching to help him.

"It's okay," Leon sighed, straightening up and stuffing into his bag the things Pat handed from the floor. My breath hitched at the last thing Pat gave him before he stood up and went to buy the drinks.

The whistle.

It was the exact same whistle, the one that was currently hanging by a chain around my neck. The one currently under my shirt. The same engravings, the same silver sheen, even the chain.

So he still had it. There were two of the same whistle currently existing in the same time space.

My shaking hand lifted up and pressed against my chest to feel the whistle. My eyes were glued to him as he grumbled incoherent words under his breath as one of his friends patted him on the back with a good humored laugh.

"You okay, Avs?" Sasha asked, waving a hand in front of my face.

I nodded numbly. That thing was my only proof that I indeed traveled through time.

But her question was enough to get Leon's attention. I couldn't find it in me to tear away my gaze so when his eyes switched to look at me, it met mine. I was sure that I probably looked like I've seen a ghost and right now, I felt like I was one.

I wasn't supposed to be here. Another version of Avery Barber should be living this life and I should be back in my own timeline, nursing a broken heart and a broken friendship.

"I..." I trailed off because I brain could barely function. It was running out of juice from trying to comprehend everything. And speaking of running out, "I need to go."

I snatched my bag and immediately shot up to my feet, practically running out of the cafeteria. I ignored both the yells of Sasha and Mia and the questions that erupted from the rest of the people on that table. I just had to get myself out of that situation.