13| The Prom

Lia & Wyatt
March 13th, 2016
18 Years Old

“You having a good time?” I asked Lia as I stood beside her. 

“Not really.” 

I scanned the crowded gym-turned-dance-floor for her date. Jake Hill. What a pompous fucker. I hated that guy. 

“Where’s Mr. Perfect? Shouldn’t he be twirling you around the dance floor right now?” 

Lia elbowed me playfully. “He’s not perfect. And he said he went to get us some drinks.” 

She was right about one thing. He was definitely not perfect. Jake was known as one of those guys that liked to go through women like candy at school. He was on the football team and pretty popular. Man, I hated that guy. But my hatred for that fucking meathead had nothing to do with the fact that he was here with Lia. Nope. Nothing to do with that at all. 

“You wanna dance?” I asked her. 

I saw her head whip in my direction. “Excuse me? Did Wyatt Thorne just ask me to dance?” She smiled shyly and my chest tightened. She had the best smile. “I thought you didn’t like to dance.” 

I kept my gaze on the dance floor and I felt my cheeks heat. “Shut up, Lia.” I held out my hand. “Come on, before I change my mind.” 

She took my hand and I led her through the sea of students to a clear spot on the dance floor. She wrapped her arms around my neck at the same time I placed my hands at her waist. She had her hair curly and pinned up high. A few curls hung by her face. The dark color of her hair stood out against her pale skin. She had light makeup on that matched the sleeveless black dress she was wearing. She was breathtaking. 

“Speaking of dates,” she said as we moved our bodies to the music, “where’s yours?” She glanced around the gym. “I don’t see Mrs. Perfect anywhere in sight.” 

I laughed at her words. Yeah, Lilly Stevens was definitely not perfect. If anything, she belonged on the arm of Lia’s date. Which was how it should have been. I wanted to come here with Lia. I planned on asking her to come with me-- as friends, of course -- but I chickened out.

Now, she was here with Jake Fucking Hill. Lia didn’t believe me when I told her he was trying to get into her pants. Well...her dress, rather. She shook her head at me and told me I was an idiot if I thought she was sleeping with him. She had a point. I owed her more than that. 

I twirled her around and pulled her back against my chest. She giggled and looked away shyly before I saw her gasp in surprise. “Jake!” She pulled away from me as the asshole in question walked up to us. “Where did you go?” 

Jake looked at me with a nasty sneer before he smiled at Lia. “I went to get some drinks, remember?” 

Lia glanced at his empty hands. “Where are they?” 

Jake’s face paled. “Damn, I was talking to Jim and I forgot them. Anyway,” he wrapped his arm around Lia and started ushering her towards the gym’s exit, “let’s go get some air.”

Just as I saw him escorting Lia out of the gym, I didn’t miss the wink he shot two other girls on his way out. I also knew he probably had been hooking up or talking to another girl when Lia thought he was getting ‘drinks’.

Feeling sick at the thought of him taking her somewhere a little more private, I decided to head home. I had no idea where my so-called date disappeared, and to be honest-- I didn’t really care.